- Government of Canada - CFIA - The Honourable Rona Ambrose, P.C., M.P.Minister responsible for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency
- Dr. Bruce ArchibaldPresident Canadian Food Inspection Agency
- Dr. Martine DubucChief Food Safety Officer and Chief Veterinary Officer for Canada
Quickly issue a special import permit to Canada for Arturo the Polar bear.
Becoming known as the: "Get That Bear, Outta There!" - Petition
Arturo the Polar bear is 29 years old, presently held at Mendoza Zoo in Mendoza Argentina. Arturo lives in a sub-par area not suitable for him, in temperatures that are way too hot for Polar bears. Arturo is a lonely bear, his companion of 20 years, Pelusa, died at age 30 in May 2012, in 104 degree Fahrenheit heat. Arturo is alone, old, depressed and suffering in extreme heat. The Assiniboine Park Zoo in Winnipeg Manitoba has graciously offered to provide an excellent home for Arturo. However, current Canadian regulations are preventing the proposed plan from taking place.
We ask that compassionate people get involved by signing this petition, sharing this petition and demonstrating to the Canadian Government the importance of Arturo's future and well-being.
- We then ask the Canadian Government to quickly issue a 'special' import permit so as to allow Arturo to be imported to Canada in a timely manner. The reason the permit is 'special' is that the Mendoza Zoo does not have Arturo's medical history. (One more reason he shouldn't be there). Canadian rules require a minimum 3 year medical history for a Polar bear to be imported to Canada.
- We also ask the Canadian government to lend assistance to the effort of bringing Arturo to Canada.
This petition was started because a beautiful Polar bear is currently suffering and something must be done about this immediately. The Polar bear plays a crucial role in Canadian culture, Canada is home to aprox. 15 500 Polar bears (2/3 of the world's Polar bears) and therefore Canada should show the world how committed it is to Polar bear well-being by showing flexibility in it's reglementation. On Dec. 5, 2013 Environment Minister Leona Aglukkaq tweeted the following: "Polar Bears are culturally, spiritually and economically important for northerners.", therefore importing Arturo would be the only possible option, certainly Canada can't stand by as he cooks to death, right?
Even if you simply read this petition, thank you. Hopefully you'll be inclined to go further and SIGN IT, SHARE IT & PARTICIPATE IN IT. When we will have won our cause, it will be a victory for all of us, together, Arturo being the biggest winner. Now, let's "Get That Bear, Outta There!"
Canada = Cool Polar Bears!!!
- Minister responsible for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency
Government of Canada - CFIA - The Honourable Rona Ambrose, P.C., M.P.
- President Canadian Food Inspection Agency
Dr. Bruce Archibald
- Chief Food Safety Officer and Chief Veterinary Officer for Canada
Dr. Martine Dubuc
Quickly issue a special import permit to Canada for Arturo the polar bear.
John Bell started this petition with a single signature, and now has 25,981 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.