Academic bullying at the University of Leicester. Please sign my petition to get justice.
This petition had 80 supporters
This is a cruel and macabre story of academic bullying, harassment and racism and I would be so great if you can. This horrid and vicious story of severe abuse and perpetuated bullying occurred at the University of Leicester (UoL).
I have retrieved all the stories of academic bullying occurred in the last 20 years, but I could not find a similar dreadful and evil testimonial like the present one. I should not have reached the stage of making a petition in order to hope obtaining justice. Things should have been addressed for a resolution at much earlier stages considering the severity of what happened.
In Higher Education, students should be treated with dignity and respect, but unfortunately, it was not the case at the UoL. The perpetrators engage in on-going rituals of humiliation, exclusion, unjustified accusations, emotional abuse, and general harassment in their malicious attempt to force me out of the academic environment.
Despite having refereed my case to the internal complaint procedures in which the UoL was repeatedly invited to put the things right, the UoL, unfortunately, ignored my complaint entirely. I was also victimised during the progression of the internal complaint. My case was successively forwarded to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education (OIA). The OIA classified my complaint being “NOT FULLY JUSTIFIED” in both; the first and second outcome letters. The OIA failed to uphold my complaint despite the severe breaches of the UoL’ policies, the Quality Code for Higher Education (QAA‘s code of conduct), and the Equality Act 2010, and the Harassment Act 1997, and in front of a large amount of the tangible evidence provided. My case also was referred to the Administrative Court for a judicial review against the OIA. The Administrative Court stated that my case was “TOTALLY WITHOUT MERIT”, and did not offer me the possibility to challenge this decision. Thus, the Administrative Court closed and archived my case without offering me the possibility of having a fair hearing court proceeding.
My name is Max Casu; I was a Ph.D. student at the UoL. I was allocated since the beginning of my Ph.D. with 1 supervisor despite under the UoL rules and regulations, I should have had 2 supervisors as it was seen for all the other Ph.D. students in the same department. My case, unfortunately, was completely ignored by the UoL. Despite, having contacted on more occasions the Leicester Students’ Union I never received any support.
I have been signing hundreds and hundreds of petitions against any type of injustice; therefore, I will appreciate if you can please sign my petition.
What has happened is extremely horrendous and atrocious, the below description of facts are present in my two blogs please click and check and see all the tangible evidence about this horrific case of academic bullying;
Please check my site for a full story;
or check here for the simplified version of my story;
As mentioned earlier all my excitements about the above Ph.D. unfortunately, turned into a nightmare;
· It was since the beginning of my academic course that I was continuously insulted, humiliated and treated at lower standards respect other students, on many occasions being called with offensive and vicious appellative such as; guest, potty, dick and rubbish from senior academic members at the UoL. A senior member also affix very insulting post on my PC workstation against me with the intent to generate public humiliation and embarrassment.
· During my Ph.D. I was able to generate 4 manuscripts and consequently 4 potential publications. Only 1 manuscript was published, with an extremely unjustified and unnecessary delay (the manuscript was ready to be published in the 2010 but it was published only 3 years later). The UoL failed to substantiate what caused the obstruction in the publication of the 3 remaining manuscripts. It was done in order of not giving credit where credit was due and ignoring my contributions.
· I was accused by my former Supervisor that I was constantly missing my academic meetings. Actually, many pieces of evidence prove completely the opposite, it was my former Supervisor persistently postponing the meetings or inviting me to take part in meetings decided at the very last minute. My former Supervisor was actually postponing group meetings because other students were not able to attend, and they were always being justified by their absence.
· I was obstructed and not supported, applying for post-doc positions or any further higher education academic courses. My former Supervisor) provided me with a deliberately “bland letter of reference“, in order of making unnecessary disruptions, he was instructed acting in this way by the Head of genetics dep. It caused me the rejection of for an important Legal post-graduate academic course at the London South Bank University (LSBU).
· My former Supervisor) failed to provide me with the adequate support during the writing of my Thesis and the preparation of my Viva Voce. My former Supervisor admitted his failures. As a result, I struggled with large distress during the writing of my Thesis and the preparation of my Viva Voce, it caused me the inevitable loss of enjoyment and it inexorably undermined my health causing me a series of severe faintness that affected my Ph.D. and the temporary suspension of it.
· The UoL decided to remove my former Supervisor and replaced him with 2 new supervisors, but this remedy was unfortunately applied at very late stages when my Thesis was already submitted and my Viva Voce was already performed.
· During my Ph.D., the UoL provided faulty equipment. A homemade software called “BeFly!” lacking of registration licence and consequently in breach of the UoL‘s policies. The homemade software BeFly! was never be subjected for its accuracy and reliability. It was done deliberately to prevent access to opportunities and it caused me the removing of a large amount of data already analysed, generating me severe stress and frustration. My former Supervisor and the Head of genetics dep. suggested me to remove the data already analysed. My former Supervisor and the Internal Viva Examiner later admitted that the software BeFly! was mistaken.
· I was accused by my former Supervisor that; I blamed other students of disrupting my work and my experiments. On many occasions, I invited the UoL and particularly my former Supervisor to substantiate these accusations. The UoL, unfortunately, failed to do so. These accusations were forwarded to me only during the procedures of my internal complaint, a clear action of victimisation.
· There was a large amount of severe failure during the complaint procedures. The UoL did not respect the internal protocol of the complaint and the appealing procedures, being responsible for irregular procedures; it again generated me a lot of distress. The UoL denied the possibility of a prima facie case.
· The UoL failed to provide my personal files (data subject request access) on the standard time in respect of the Data Protection Act 1998. I received my files after 4 months respect the approved time-scale.
· The UoL prior to my Viva Voce decided to appoint a chair without to inform me and without to substantiate why this decision was taken.
· After having successfully performed the Viva Voce, I was notified that I passed my Viva Voce but also I was notified that I failed my Thesis. The UoL failed to substantiate what potentially caused the failure of my Thesis. The UoL provided an academic report being very vague and elusive and did not inform me about the potential errors involved on my Thesis. The UoL sustained during my appealing procedure that; “it was not fundamental to know the exact errors involved in my Thesis”. Most of the specific errors listed in the academic report could not be found in my Thesis. The academic report deferred completely from the corrections provided by the External Viva Examiner that actually showed a list of minor corrections that were amended in less than two weeks. The UoL failed to inform me about my rights of appeal. There is a large amount of internal e-mails from the Head of genetics dep. and other senior members of the UoL, in which showed how the UoL premeditated the failure of my Ph.D.
· Despite having performed well during my academic course, and even done better respect many others Ph.D. students, despite having generated 4 potential publications and having successfully passed my exams, the UoL rejected my Ph.D. The UoL sustained that I failed my Thesis. The UoL failed to substantiate why I failed my Thesis.
· Accordingly, the UoL appointed a chair in order to prevent me appealing against their decision. The above shows a clear evidence of conspiracy, bias, and prejudice against me.
· The UoL convening appointing 2 new supervisors but it was done after the completion of the writing of my Thesis, the submission of it and the preparation of my Viva Voce.
· According to the UoL‘s policies, I should have had 2 supervisors since the beginning of my Ph.D.
· There are many severe failures during the academic appealing procedures.
· The UoL was constantly breaching their own policies, the QAA code of conduct and the related Law. The UoL was repeatedly invited to investigate the above and put a remedy as it was actually expected.
· The UoL neglected completely the severity of the events occurred, increasing my stress and frustration that ultimately affected my health severely with a series of severe faintness.
· My complaint was forwarded to the OIA. The OIA did not consider my complaint appropriately, and despite having provided tangible evidence of the episodes occurred my complaint was classified being “NOT JUSTIFIED“. Consequently, the OIA failed taking action against the UoL. The OIA actually awkwardly attempted to justify and legitimate the awful and malicious behaviour of the UoL and its senior members. Unfortunately, the OIA did not act impartially.
· The case was referred to the Administrative Court for a judicial review against the OIA. Shockingly, the Administrative Court closed my case without providing me the possibility having a fair hearing, stating that my case was “TOTALLY WITHOUT MERIT” and without to have the possibility to challenge this decision.
Please sign my petition, in order to have my case reviewed and obtain justice, thank you!!
Today: Max is counting on you
Max Casu needs your help with “Gordon Marsden MP (Shadow Minister for Further Education & Skills) : Academic bullying at the University of Leicester. Please sign my petition to get justice.”. Join Max and 79 supporters today.