Implement a Peace Studies program in Saskatchewan schools
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
PEACE STUDIES PROGRAM FOR SASKATCHEWAN SCHOOLS
PETITION TO THE GOVERNMENT OF SASKATCHEWAN
- None of the students in our schools has ever known a time of world peace, their entire lives having been lived during active warfare, with Canadian soldiers involved in wars in Afghanistan, Libya, Iraq, and Syria.
- A growing number of students in Saskatchewan schools are refugees from war.
- War is a catastrophe for everyone it touches, inflicting suffering on civilians and soldiers alike.
- War does terrible damage to Mother Earth, polluting air, water, and soil. War is also an important factor in climate change, as the military generates a huge carbon footprint.
- The billions of dollars Canada spends annually on the military could instead be better spent fostering true peace in such areas as education, healthcare, affordable housing, the environment, and the implementation of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s 94 Calls to Action.
- While true peace certainly includes the absence of war, it also requires addressing other forms of violence, including discrimination, both individual and systemic, based on race, class, gender, religion, and disability; domestic violence; and past and present injustices that define the relationship between settler Canadians and Indigenous Peoples in Saskatchewan.
Therefore, we, the undersigned, call on the Government of Saskatchewan to introduce a Peace Studies program at each stage in the K-12 school curriculum. This curriculum should foster the development of the knowledge, insights, aptitudes, and skills needed to build true peace in our families and society and within the community of nations.
The petition is sponsored by Living Peace Association, Yorkton; Making Peace Vigil; PeaceQuest Regina; Project Ploughshares, Saskatoon; Regina Peace Council; Saskatoon Peace Coalition; The Peace Studies Initiative at St. Thomas More College, University of Saskatchewan; Veterans Against Nuclear Arms.
Today: PeaceQuest Regina is counting on you
PeaceQuest Regina needs your help with “Gord Wyant: Implement a Peace Studies program in Saskatchewan schools”. Join PeaceQuest Regina and 124 supporters today.