No More Silence: Demand Sexual Assault Prevention and Consequences for Epsilon Iota
This petition had 2,453 supporters
Under the student conduct code page 5, item W, “disorderly conduct or interfering with the rights of others” is grounds for suspension, and possible revocation of degrees. Under section 8, item A. “A student group or organization and its officers may be held collectively AND individually responsible when violations of this code by those associated with the group or organization have received the consent or encouragement of the group or organization or of the group’s or organization’s leaders or officers.” In addition to clear violation of AU’s Student Code of Conduct, the presence of EI students on campus is a clear threat to the safety and well-being of American University students. AU students who contributed to those emails (especially those discussing illegal activities, trivializing sexual assault, and using misogynist, sexist, racist, and homophobic language) should not be students at this university. By perpetrating these heinous acts, they have proven themselves unworthy of being members of our community. If the university cannot legally expel these individuals, there should be consequences and measures taken against them to ensure the safety of our students, and the University needs to improve its preventative measures and the way it address sexual assault and violence. AU cannot be a bystander. It has an ability and thus a responsibility to address this issue and make the school a safe place.
- Clarification of who in University administration is involved in the investigation, and also a mechanism by which the University will update us on the investigation. We would like complete transparency regarding the progression of any investigation.
- Interim suspension of all persons involved in the email thread /suspected criminals pending their investigation.
- An official statement from the University saying that involvement in EI will be treated as gang activity, and that any incidents of student involvement in EI will be treated as such. Furthermore, disciplinary action for any student wearing EI letters on campus should be taken.
- Expulsion of all EI members that have discussed being present, or condoning sexual violence, assault, battery, slander and all other actions relevant to physical, sexual, emotional and all other forms of abuse.
Long Term Demands:
- Employment of a full-time Survivors Advocate and additional administrative positions which would be specialized in dealing with cases of sexual violence to support victims of sexual and gendered violence.
- Mandatory sexual assault prevention and bystander intervention training at Eagle Summit.
- More comprehensive, mandatory, sexual assault prevention/bystander training for all of social and professional Greek life on a semesterly basis.
- Mandatory sexual assault education for club executive board members
Today: No More Silence is counting on you
No More Silence needs your help with “Gail Hanson: No More Silence: Demand Sexual Assault Prevention and Consequences for Epsilon Iota”. Join No More Silence and 2,452 supporters today.