Reject the Sale of KPLU
This petition had 1,252 supporters
KPLU is an essential asset of our community.
The sale of KPLU is problematic for a multitude of reasons:
(1) Staff of KPLU were not informed of the sale prior to the public news release.
(2) PLU's administration made this decision without consulting members of KPLU, staff/faculty of PLU, or students of the university.
(3) Because KUOW already has a fully staffed news room, very few KPLU employees will be able to transition to the competing station, meaning that most will lose their jobs.
(4) The University of Washington's Board of Regents met about this sale without informing the public, which is against their bylaws.
(5) KPLU has recently had one of their most successful fiscal years yet, gathering nearly $400,000 at their last fund drive, meaning that the station is in no way struggling financially or in popularity.
(6) Despite PLU President Thomas Krise's public statements regarding our financial stability, S&P recently lowered the school's bond rating status from BBB to BBB-, with a forecast of "negative". The President's continued dishonesty on our financial status is indicative of the lack of transparency in University decision making.
(7) This decision will terminate student opportunity to engage in excellent internship and job programs with NPR, ultimately cutting off a renowned platform for aspiring PLU journalists, musicians, and writers to share their work.
(8) KPLU is one of the greatest NPR stations in the country, as it draws listeners from across the nation. The station provides excellent news, features, and jazz for our community.
Reject the sale of KPLU!
Today: Zoe is counting on you
Zoe Velie needs your help with “Federal Communications Commission: Reject the Sale of KPLU”. Join Zoe and 1,251 supporters today.