Keep Colony Meadows Elementary students at Fort Settlement Middle School
0 have signed. Let’s get to 2,500!
Colony Meadows Elementary (CME) families request that the FBISD Board of Trustees and 2018 FBISD Steering Committee continue to work toward their stated goals for CME students. CME students should be kept within the Fort Settlement Middle School (FSMS) zone.
The following goals were determined during previous FBISD rezoning efforts in 2014 and 2016, and many of these goals have been restated within the 2018 Steering Committee meeting presentations and minutes.
- Maintain feeder alignment
- Maintain the neighborhood concept
- Prevent and eliminate overcrowding
- Allow for future growth
- Keep distances traveled by students as short as possible
- Minimize the need for student transportation
A proposal has been put forth by some Riverstone community members to remove CME students from FSMS and place them at First Colony Middle School (FCMS). Removing CME students from FSMS does not align with any of the stated goals above for the following reasons:
- FSMS is a feeder school for Clements High School. Riverstone students are not zoned to Clements, but instead zoned to Elkins High School. Removing CME students from FSMS goes against the stated goal of "maintain feeder alignment".
- A large portion of CME students reside less than one mile from FSMS. At least 50% of the CME students are able to walk or bike to FSMS. With the ability to walk or bike, that is considered a "neighborhood concept" school. Removing CME students from FSMS goes against the stated goal of "maintaining the neighborhood concept" school.
- If CME students were to be rezoned to FCMS instead of FSMS, ALL CME students would need to be bused to the newly zoned middle school whereas most CME students do not require busing to FSMS. Removing CME students from FSMS goes against the stated goals of "keep distances traveled by students as short as possible" AND "minimize the need for student transportation".
- CME is actually closer by almost a mile to FSMS than Riverstone's Sullivan Elementary. Also, all Riverstone students that attend FSMS require transportation and are on bus routes. As mentioned in #3 above, that is not the case for CME students.
Again, CME families request that the FBISD Board of Trustees and 2018 FBISD Steering Committee continue to work toward their stated goals for CME students. There are many options available to reduce utilization at Fort Settlement Middle School, but removing CME students from their neighborhood school in favor of busing them to a further school is not an option.
Today: Heather is counting on you
Heather Rudolph needs your help with “FBISD Board of Trustees: Keep CME students in our neighborhood middle school”. Join Heather and 1,504 supporters today.