End Facebook Speech Suppression
This petition had 5,656 supporters
Facebook is a self-proclaimed "social network" whose stated mission is “to give people the power to share and make the world more open and connected”.
Then why does Facebook severely and unjustly limits our ability to connect and share?
For example, Facebook:
(a) arbitrarily censors posts without notice or an opportunity to be heard;
(b) charges us to share and connect with friends, family, subscribers and followers;
(c) caps friendships and blocking or banning users from being able to send friend requests;
(d) censors pages without notice or an opportunity to be heard;
(e) blocks and bans users without notice or an opportunity to be heard;
Facebook states that we are free to share and connect with one another, when in reality we are far too limited, and many of us are prevented from having any power or choice in what we can share and who we can share and connect with;
Facebook users are continually and systematically subjected to arbitrary, unjust and anti-social policies and speech suppression by Facebook while its corporate sponsors and highest bidders are rewarded with the power to connect and share without limitation.
Accordingly, we demand Facebook:
(1) Eliminate its pay-to-share policies and suppressive algorithms with respect to friends, family, subscribers and other Facebook users we choose to connect with, who have liked our pages or otherwise expressed their intent to receive our status updates and other important information we share;
(2) Eliminate arbitrary spam filters and suppressive algorithms which hide, remove or otherwise censor our messages or other posts which have not been shared indiscriminately;
(3) Provide us with notice and an opportunity to be heard before Facebook removes posts or other speech through a fair and public appeal process;
(4) Provide us with notice and an opportunity to be heard before Facebook bans or blocks our ability to connect and share, including but not limited to blocking our ability to friend and message one another;
(5) Remove friendship limits.
“The true test of liberty is the right to test it, the right to question it, the right to speak to my neighbors, to grab them by the shoulders and look into their eyes and ask, “Are we free?” I have thought that if we are free, the answer cannot hurt us. And if we are not free, must we not hear the answer?” ― Gerry Spence
Very Truly Yours,
Facebook Users & Pages United Against Facebook Speech Suppression
Learn more about what Facebook is doing here: http://peopleoverpolitics.org/2014/04/20/the-anti-social-network
Are you a Facebook user, page owner or admin tired of not being able to share and connect with your friends, family and followers?
Join Facebook Users & Pages United Against Facebook Speech Suppression
Please sign our petition, and please also sign this Facebook petition created by our partners in progress at Demand Progress.
If you have any questions or concerns about this petition or our organization in general please email us or visit us on Facebook.
Thank you for your support and remember, sharing is caring.
Today: Louis is counting on you
Louis Leo IV needs your help with “End Facebook Speech Suppression”. Join Louis and 5,655 supporters today.