Petition to FAA & Congress for Beacon Hill Seattle Airplane Noise Reduction & Mitigation
This petition made change with 1,256 supporters!
El Centro de la Raza Petition to FAA & Congress for Beacon Hill Seattle Airplane Noise Reduction & Mitigation
Petition summary and background.
Beacon Hill Seattle is comprised of 80% people of color. The neighborhood is surrounded by air and noise emission sources from I-5, I-90, Rainier Avenue, MLK Way and from airplanes flying overhead every 3 minutes from Sea-Tac, King County International Airport and Boeing Renton Field. In 2016, 70% of ~200,000 landings flew over Beacon Hill at 3,000’ at times 2,000’. Passengers are projected to increase from 38 million in 2014 to 66 million in 2035.
Beacon Hill residents and workers are concerned with the health impacts of air and noise pollution. Along with other factors: Air pollution can cause asthma, reduced lung capacity, irritation of eyes, nose, mouth and throat. Noise pollution can cause heart disease, stress and sleep disturbance. Beacon Hill Seattle is not eligible for mitigation as it is not adjacent to the airports.
Action petitioned for:
We, the undersigned are 18 years old or over, are concerned Beacon Hill residents, workers and friends who are asking that our:
· US Congressional & Senate Committees* responsible for the reauthorization and funding of FAA (Federal Aviation Administration)
1) expand communities eligible for mitigation and funding to include adversely affected communities that are not adjacent to airports and
2) reduce the maximum allowable noise from 65 decibels to 55 decibels to align with local laws.
· FAA Interim Administrator Daniel Elwell to
1) provide systematic ground measurements of noise upon community request in addition to its annualized average measurement,
2) reduce the maximum allowable levels from 65 decibels to 55 decibels as mentioned above in item 2, and
3) host regional airport planning to mitigate undue burden given increased regional demand.
For more info, contact email@example.com
Signature collection ends on 2-26-18.
Today: El Centro is counting on you
El Centro de la Raza needs your help with “El Centro Needs your help with our petition to FAA & Congress for Beacon Hill Seattle airplane noise reduction & mitigation!”. Join El Centro and 1,255 supporters today.