Dr Kalam cautioned on SriLanka visit
This petition had 943 supporters
Dear and Respected Dr. Abdul Kalam,
We are deeply shocked and dismayed to learn that you are planning to visit Sri Lanka on January 21-st at the invitation of its Government. The recent past experiences have proved that Sri Lanka has become the world class expert in deceiving the visiting international dignitaries by carefully choreographing its conducted tour by showing only one side but hiding its ugly, murderous side. In spite of this, we would welcome your visit to Lanka if you can, at your own free will, meet and discuss with all the students and faculty of the University of Jaffna at your own choice and not be taken on a "conducted tour" by the Sri Lankan government authorities to meet with only selected students and faculty members of the Government’s choice. Also, you must make sure that you have a private, detailed discussion with the Members of Parliament belonging to the Tamil National Alliance (TNA), the elected representatives of Tamil people.
We strongly urge you not to participate in any programs sponsored by the Sri Lankan government or meet with Sri Lankan government officials or any Tamil para-military groups colluding with the Sinhalese government which has always been anti-Tamil. You must also publicly announce, with no interference whatsoever from the Sri Lankan Government, the aspirations and legitimate rights of the Tamil people in their ancestral homeland.
As you know very well, the chauvinistic, fascist, anti-Tamil Sri Lankan Government (which is a Government of the Sinhalese, by the Sinhalese and for the Sinhalese) stands accused of committing genocide against the Tamil people and it is trying to use prominent Tamils like you to hide its horrendous crimes against the Tamils. We would like to bring to your attention that the Tamils all over the world are boycotting Sri Lanka. The reasons for boycotting Sri Lanka are too many to list here; some are shown below:
1. Sri Lanka is one of the Top Red Alert Countries identified for Genocide.
2. Approximately, 216,000+ innocent Thamil civilians have been killed by the Sri Lankan Government during Military Operations. A study reported in the British Medical Journal on June 19, 2008 by the University of Washington, Seattle and Harvard Medical School (BMJ ; Vol:336: p.1482-1486, doi:10.1136/bmj.a137 (published 19 June 2008) states that realistic estimate of the number of people died due to the conflict in Sri Lanka between 1975 – 2002 alone is 124,000 - 229,000. An overwhelming of these dead are Tamil people at the hands of the Sri Lankan military and the Sinhalese thugs.
3. About 80,000 innocent Tamil civilians including elderly and children were killed by Sri Lankan government during the last days of the military operation in May 2009 alone and over 100,000 people are still missing. ( http://asiasociety.org/video/policy/sri-lankas-civil-war-complete )
4. During the conflict, Sri Lanka did shelling and aerial bombardments on Safety Zones, hospitals, schools and places of worship. A published UN report says that there are credible evidence of Sri Lankan government's involvement in war crimes and crimes against humanity.
5. Sri Lanka tortured and killed 500+ Indian fishermen from Tamil Nadu.
6. Sri Lanka gained its reputation as the Number One Human Rights Violator in South Asia.
7. Sri Lanka is listed as the 2nd worst in the world in disappearances of people.
8. Sri Lanka is the 8th Worst in press freedom out of 173 free nations.
9. Sri Lanka is voted off United Nations Humans Rights Council.
10. The Tamil Nadu Assembly has passed a unanimous resolution requesting the Government of India to apply economic sanctions against Sri Lanka.
11. It is alleged that during tsunami, Sri Lanka received $US 2.2 billion. Out of this, Sri Lanka spent $US 603.4 million on projects unrelated to the disaster and $US 471.9 million is missing.
12. After an unduly long delay, Sri Lanka finally came out with its flawed Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC) report. It failed to address the serious and pertinent issues raised in the UN Secretary-General’s Panel of Experts Report. Amnesty International (AI) has said: “The report’s major shortcoming is in addressing alleged violations of the laws of war, wheres the LLRC appears to have taken the government's responses uncritically.”
As you know, academic boycott, economic sanctions and boycott of Sri Lankan products are among the tools used by international governments to make the rogue Governments like Sri Lanka to follow the international law.
We echo the voice of the Tamils all over the world to boycott any program organized either directly by the Sri Lankan government or by organizations sponsored by the Sri Lankan government.
We urge you to use your influence to protect the life and well-being of the Tamils who are undergoing untold sufferings at the brutal hands of the Sri Lankan Government and also in restoring to them the freedom, liberty and self-determination that they rightfully deserve in their ancestral homeland. Towards achieving these goals and objectives, we earnestly urge you to do the following:
1. Lead the campaign in India and elsewhere by exposing the atrocities committed by Sri Lanka against the Tamil people.
2. Tell all the Indian political leaders that they are supporting the persecution and genocide of Tamils by helping Sri Lanka which has always been anti- India and anti-Tamil and always pursued anti-Tamil pogroms since the British left the island in 1948.
3. Tell the Indian government that its wrong policy of supporting Sri Lanka against the Tamils is bad not only for the Tamils but also for India’s self-interests.
4. Make the Indian leaders i) realize that the Tamils in the North and East of the island of Lanka possess their inalienable rights to establish their own Nation on their ancestral homeland, much like the Bangladesh people have in their homeland, and ii) actively support Tamil people's quest for freedom and dignity.
Today: World Thamil is counting on you
World Thamil Organization needs your help with “Dr Kalam cautioned on SriLanka visit”. Join World Thamil and 942 supporters today.