Don't change the name of E.W. Farr Memorial School
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
There is a proposal to change the name of E.W. Farr Memorial School to Wellington Heights School. This proposal was made in conjunction with the closing of Pelham Centre School and the consolidation of students at E.W. Farr. The name change was proposed as a way of welcoming students from a broader area.
We oppose the name change for the following reasons:
1. E.W. Farr was an esteemed educator, Teacher and Principal of 34 years and a worthy honoree. The school was named in his honor when it was built in 1950.
2. The school is part of our history and many Pelham residents are proud alumni. Those who attended E.W. Farr would like to continue to have a connection to their history and childhood.
3. There is no pressing need to change the name as E.W. Farr does not refer to a specific place or town.
4. Wellington Heights is a name with no historical relevance to our community, as the name was given to a location near present Lookout Point that was intended as a fort. The fort was never built and the name was dropped. Most people have no connection to the new name.
5. Our other local schools (Glynn A Green, A.K. Wigg, E.L. Crossley) are all named after worthy honorees. We see no reason to change this custom.
Please join our petition and keep the name E.W. Farr Memorial School for another 66 years.
Today: Vilma is counting on you
Vilma Moretti needs your help with “District School Board of Niagara Region: Don't change the name of E.W. Farr Memorial School”. Join Vilma and 520 supporters today.