5 Reasons To Change the Sale and Boiling of Live Lobsters
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
Next time you are walking by the live lobster tank in your grocery store, think about this:
Lobsters feel pain:
- They have an exquisite sense of touch
- They are sensitive to temperature shifts as small as one degree
- Lobsters can't "go into shock", and their suffering is extreme and prolonged, up to 45 seconds in boiling water and 60 minutes after they are dismembered
- Lobsters need a fresh continual influx of natural ocean salt water. They suffer in artificial tanks.
- Many lobsters starve in stores because retailers don't want to clean their waste from tanks
SIGN this petition if you want to:
STOP THE SALE OF LIVE LOBSTERS
ADVOCATE FOR HUMANE KILLING OF LOBSTERS BEFORE COOKING
We, the undersigned, call on our local supermarket retailers, Tops Markets and Wegmans, to:
- Include humane kill instructions with every live lobster purchase
- Post in plain view near lobster tanks humane kill instructions and why boiling or dismembering lobsters causes pain and suffering
- Design a plan to phase out sale of live lobsters
We look to Tops Markets and Wegmans, retail grocery chains that are an integral part of our community, to demonstrate positive leadership through responsible ethics-based business practices that embody humane principles.
Tops Markets and Wegmans, we thank you in advance, and look forward to your timely public response regarding the upgrades to your lobster sales.
FYI: How to kill lobsters humanely before cooking:
Place in freezer for 30 minutes, then remove from freezer and place the lobster on its back on a cutting board. Then angle the tip of a sharp chef's knife right below where the claws meet and swiftly cut down through the head. (Freezing for 30 minutes does not kill a lobster, and the cut must be made as described above) (https://www.thespruce.com/ways-to-kill-a-lobster-1808804
Animal studies,Queen's University Belfast, Northern Ireland
Today: Mary is counting on you
Mary Messer needs your help with “Diane Colgan Tops Markets Sr VP Marketing: 5 Reasons To Change the Sale and Boiling of Live Lobsters”. Join Mary and 429 supporters today.