Petition Closed

Health care is a RIGHT, not a PRIVILEGE

This petition had 46 supporters

    Health care is one of the most care we should meet. It is conventionally regarded as an important determinant in promoting the general physical and mental health and well-being of people around the world. But it is said that here in our very own country, the Philippines has the history of unfair and unequal access to health services that significantly affects the poor. It is not well-functioning. If it is, it must provide impartial access to quality healthcare regardless of pay dimensions while protecting them from financial consequences of poor health. In fact, the government spends little money on the programs which causes high out of pocket spending and further widens the gap between rich and poor and out of the 90 million people living in the Philippines, many do not get access to basic care.

    We are supposed to live in a caring country where our health needs are looked after, free of charge from the cradle to the grave, but the WHO's standards haven't really met by the Philippines. Healthcare in the Philippines suffers from a shortage of human medical resources, especially doctors. This makes the system run slower and less efficiently. So how can we ensure that we receive the appropriate quality help and assistance especially by the elderly whom we know the most vulnerable people in our society? Lucky to those Filipino families who can afford private health facilities. They can receive a better quality of care than the public facilities where lower income families usually go to. The public facilities tend to be in rural areas that are more run down. These facilities have less medical staff and inferior supplies. According to Katelynn Kenworthy only 30 percent of health professionals employed by the government address the health needs of the majority. Healthcare in the Philippines suffers because the remaining 70 percent of health professionals work in the more expensive privately run sectors. To compensate for the inequality, a program called Doctors to the Barrios and its private sectors decided to build nine cancer centers, eight heart centers and seven transplant centers in regional medical centers. The Doctors to the Barrios included Public-Private Partnerships in a plan to modernize the government-owned hospitals and provide more up to date medical supplies. More than 3,500 public health facilities were updated across the country.

    Although advances have been made to improve healthcare in the Philippines, there are still many issues that the country has yet to overcome to achieve a high quality, cost efficient healthcare system. So we should not take for granted health care for it is only the thing that keeps us on living. Support better health. Sign this petition to improve health policy.

Today: Rachel is counting on you

Rachel Francisco needs your help with “Department of Health: Health care is a RIGHT, not a PRIVILEGE”. Join Rachel and 45 supporters today.