Stop Illegal Road Construction inside IPO Watershed
This petition had 253 supporters
Mt. Balagbag, San Jose del Monte, Bulacan
WHY WE SHOULD TAKE PART OF STOPPING ILLEGAL ROAD CONSTRUCTION INSIDE THE IPO WATERSHED?
1. Ipo Watershed supplies water to Metro Manila. It is under threat because of deforestation and encroachment of illegal settlers and land grabbers. More than 60% is already deforested. That deforested area is greater than the total land area of La Mesa Watershed!
2. The northern slopes of Mt. Balagbag is within Ipo Watershed. The west-east ridgeline of Mt. Balagbag serves as the boundary line of Ipo Watershed. Rainwater that falls north of this ridgeline will eventually go down to Sapang Ipo and then to Ipo Dam until it reaches our homes in Metro Manila. Deforestation causes siltation of our rivers. Silt reduces lifespans of dams and it also makes water much for difficult and expensive to treat.
3. Nanay Julma's Ministop Store is located north of the east-wast ridgeline of Mt. Balagbag so in essence, it is already inside Ipo Watershed.
4. DENR Region 3 did not approve any road construction in Mt. Balagbag that is within Ipo Watershed (see sms correspondence with DENR). Late last year, they even put to a stop a road construction at the higher portions of Mt. Balagbag that encroached Ipo Watershed.
5. According to the DENR, the alleged person behind the road construction is a relative of a politician from Bulacan. Some sources say that the road will be used for motorized recreation (ATVs, 4x4 vehicles, motocross bikes, etc) but this still needs verification. The DENR is already investigating this.
Today: Aiji Marie is counting on you
Aiji Marie Torrefranca needs your help with “DENR: Stop Illegal Road Construction inside IPO Watershed”. Join Aiji Marie and 252 supporters today.