The Republican members of the Senate are currently writing their bill to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act. Millions of families across the United States depend on the ACA to protect them and their families. For many people with pre-existing conditions, the ACA is a lifeline that has allowed them to receive the treatment that has kept them alive.
The House bill that was scored by the Congressional Budget Office has determined:
- 23 million MORE Americans will be without insurance by 2026.
- American with pre-existing conditions would risk being charged more
- Out-of-pocket spending on maternity care, mental health, and substance abuse services could increase by thousands of dollars in a given year.
- $834 billion in spending cuts to Medicaid over the next 10 years
- Our senior citizens will see premiums skyrocket; a 64 year-old would pay $13,600 per year.
The Senate Republicans now have a working committee writing their version of the healthcare bill that includes 13 men and 0 women. Furthermore, the Senate Republicans are violating democratic normalcy, by constructing this bill under a cloak of secrecy. They are refusing to release the text of the bill to the American people, and instead are moving the bill along to a vote without public hearings, comments, or any public input.
Senate Democrats are the minority party and with the invocation of the nuclear option, have no power to filibuster the bill. What the Democrats do have is the power to withhold consent. Adam Jentleson, of the Washington Post, laid it out clearly, what the Democrats can do. (https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2017/01/27/democrats-in-congress-can-block-trumps-agenda-if-they-want-to-heres-how/?utm_term=.f4c03544029e
Here's what Senate Democrats need to do:
- Every Senate action requires unanimous consent. If a single senator objects to a consent agreement, Mitch McConnell will be forced to time-consuming procedural steps
- The 48 Democratic Senators must work together to ensure that there is always a senator on the floor to withhold consent
- Continue this process indefinitely until the Senate Republicans agree to release their healthcare bill.
Join me in signing, sharing, and demanding that the Senate Democrats withhold consent until the Senate Republicans agree to release their healthcare bill for public debate and viewing. This bill affects every American, 1/6th of the US economy, and should not be passed without due diligence.
Withhold consent until AHCA is released to the Public
Justin Bianchini started this petition with a single signature, and won with 496 supporters. Start a petition to change something you care about.