1) Education and training in schools will help save lives
2) Suicide is the THIRD leading cause of death between the ages of 15-24, per the Center for Disease Control
3) In 2009 Florida ranked as the 3rd largest state with highest suicide rates for ages 15-24 per per USA State Suicide Statistics (Source: http://www.suicidology.org/c/document_library/get_file?folderId=228&name=DLFE-496.pdf)
4) In 2011 Broward County had eight (8) suicides between the ages of 14-19 years.
5) Schools are 'reactive' instead of 'proactive' when it pertains to responding to suicide.
6) Bullying and depression are common causes of suicides.
7) Suicide is a growing epidemic and IS preventable through awareness, education, and intervention.
8) Parents are the last to know that their child wants to commit suicide (Source: http://theguide.fmhi.usf.edu/pdf/IB-8.pdf)
9) Teachers for the most part are not aware of a child's suicidal behavior (Source: http://theguide.fmhi.usf.edu/pdf/IB-8.pdf)
10) Talking about suicide and prevention in schools WILL NOT increase teen suicides in schools. (Source: http://www.sptsusa.org/educators/talking-myth.html)
Join The Bradford Foundation in eradicating Suicide from the minds of our youth through awareness, prevention, intervention and empowerment programs.
In loving memory of Bradford Fernandez and all teens who have died by suicide.