Support Quality Affordable Housing AND Mixed Use at the Kensington MARTA Station.
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
There is a proposal to build Phoenix Station, a seven story, 244 unit affordable housing project on Kensington Rd across from the Kensington MARTA station. Rezoning Case Z-18-22040. We strongly support affordable housing that moves this site towards the vision established by two decades of comprehensive planning and community input.
What is Mixed-Use and why is it needed?
Mixed-Use is development that has a combination of uses including residential, retail and/or office all in one location. It can provide services and amenities to both local residents and transit riders. The DeKalb County Comprehensive Plan calls for Mixed-Use development around the Kensington MARTA station to achieve the following goals:
• The creation of a transit-oriented community of residences, offices, commercial centers and green spaces anchored by one of DeKalb’s only transit stations.
• The provision of new much-needed services and stores to serve the residents that live nearby, including those with limited incomes.
• The fostering of community by creating walkable, tree-lined streets and multi-use sidewalks.
Why the current Phoenix Station Plan falls short of DeKalb’s vision:
• It does not create a transit-oriented community. While it is near a MARTA Station, the lack of services creates an automobile-dependent, isolated building.
• It does not include services or stores to serve the community including those with limited incomes.
• It does nothing to reduce the distance and difficulty for residents to run basic errands, especially those without a car.
• It does not offer places to walk to or congregate. Nor does it create an active and attractive main street.
• It suffers from the same problems our Commissioners identified for the proposed development on Covington Highway in the Porter Road community, a mile away from this site.
DeKalb should demand QUALITY affordable housing for its residents.
• The developer, LDG Development LLC (LDG) is a for-profit builder who says their funding will not pay to build Mixed-Use. The reality is their profit model will not pay to build mixed-use.
• LDG has partnered with Capstone Management Company for management of 14 of its properties. Capstone has an F rating from the Better Business Bureau.
• Cambridge Station while owned by LDG was called “the epicenter of violent crime” by the Indianapolis Housing Authority.
• LDG’s Harris Branch in Austin, Texas had 142 police calls within a year.
• Park Place at Loyola, in Austin has a 2 out of 5 overall rating. One reviewer states: “This place is the worst Apartment Complex Ever….Do not move here, the apartments are infested with roaches, bed bugs, and a lot of crime."
We ask DeKalb to uphold two decades of community input and planning for a pedestrian-friendly, Mixed-Use development along Kensington Rd. Please sign this petition asking the DeKalb Board of Commissioners to either deny the proposed rezoning to High Density Multi Family or defer a vote on the proposed plan so that it can be modified to come closer to the goals for Kensington Road.
Friends of Kensington
Friends of Kensington is a diverse citizen’s group of DeKalb County residents advocating for a multi-use, transit-oriented destination including work force housing anchored by the Kensington MARTA Station. For more information, or to support this effort further, please visit our website: www.friendsofkensington.com
Today: Friends of Kensington is counting on you
Friends of Kensington needs your help with “DeKalb County Board of Commissioners: Support Quality Affordable Housing AND Mixed Use at the Kensington MARTA Station.”. Join Friends of Kensington and 193 supporters today.