Divest CUNY from Private Prisons !
This petition had 302 supporters
A recent FOIA [Freedom of Information Act] on the CUNY Board of Trustees has revealed that CUNY is invested in the prison system. Since 2011, there are over $275,000 invested in private prisons from CUNY. This does immense harm to the institution by being complicit in mass incarceration, militarization of CUNY, and the overall oppression of our communities. CUNY cannot say that it is concerned about the wellbeing of the community as a public institution and yet invest in institutions that are designed to systematically warehouse oppressed people. CUNY’s exclusionary policies have denied access to many in the community, especially students from the New York City public school system.
As CUNY Students, Faculty, Staff & Members of the community on behalf of the CUNY Prison Divestment Campaign we demand to the Board of Trustees the following:
1. CUNY must divest from all private prisons and private detention centers, and all institutions that benefit from the suffering of our communities. Divest from all companies that use prison labor to make items we use in our classes.
2. End all NYPD, ROTC, Border Patrol, ICE Police recruitment and all military recruitment in CUNY campuses. End the militarization of our university.
3. We want an end to the partnership with NYPD. We want a community controlled security force.
4. We demand that CUNY funds programs to reintegrate formerly incarcerated people into the university.
5. We demand a CUNY democratically controlled by the students, community and staff.
6. We demand divestment from Israeli companies as well as the divestment from organizations that fund the existence of apartheid Israel.
Today: CUNY Prison Divest is counting on you
CUNY Prison Divest needs your help with “CUNY Board of Trustees: Divest CUNY from Private Prisons !”. Join CUNY Prison Divest and 301 supporters today.