Say NO to Mike Bonin's Plan for a legalized tent encampment at Mar Vista Park.
0 have signed. Let’s get to 5,000!
Say NO to Mike Bonin’s proposal to allow tents encampments at Mar Vista Park and other public areas.
If Bonin's motion (seconded by Mark Ridley-Thomas) is approved by the City Council, people who are homeless for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to drug addiction and mental illness will have the legal right to live permanently at Mar Vista Park with no rules or laws to control them.
Homelessness is a legitimate social problem but this half baked idea is not the solution. In fact, aside from moving tent encampments into Mar Vista Park - there is absolutely no related joint plan to evaluate and assess the needs of the people occupying these tent encampments or to help these individuals get back on their feet and out of the encampment. And unless there's a complete package - you know nothing will happen. The problem will just fester at the park. Here's some of my other concerns:
1. Tent encampments will continue to grow around Mar Vista Park, outside the park, under freeway overpasses, sidewalks, parking lots and other areas around Mar Vista.
There is absolutely NO guarantee that moving these tent encampments into Mar Vista Park will eliminate or lower the number of encampments on the street. There will be no improvement. Just look to the Venice Beach for a glimpse as to what will happen here. (Another Bonin disaster.)
2. The tent encampments will be a permanent fixture in Mar Vista Park. Bonin is essentially creating the same situation that developed organically in Echo Park. Why create this mess that will only cause more pain for everyone involved in years to come.
3. There will be no restrictions against alcohol and drug use in a public space in the tent encampment at the park - in fact there will be no way to monitor drug and illegal alcohol use in public - Bonin is against it - and expect more fires like what happened at the Ballona Wetlands Ecological Reserve near the Playa del Rey oil field on March 23 or under our freeway overpasses.
4. Bonin will be creating a lawless crime zone right in the middle of our residential neighborhoods. Local law enforcement is already taxed and LAPD can take up to an hour to show up - if they even show up - for a tent encampment related complaint. Their current position is not to respond - especially if you are complaining about non-violent petty crimes like porch thieves and bicycle thefts.
5. Health and safety concerns. Mar Vista park is a local gem used by families all around LA. Families with children, picnickers, softball teams, soccer teams, skaters and people with dogs all come to the park for fun, exercise and birthdays and celebrations.
But Bonin's encampment plan puts all of us at risk. It doesn't matter that trash bins, showers and toilets will be there. We have all seen the mess by Venice Blvd under the 405 overpass. It makes no difference.
6. There will be NO curfew for the tent encampment at Mar Vista. There will be NO rules of conduct for the tent encampment even though everyone else in the park must follow park rules when they are visiting the park.
Simply look at Venice Beach and it is clear this plan is misguided and will harm this community.
PLEASE HELP KEEP OUR COMMUNITY SAFE AND FORCE OUR ELECTED COUNCIL MEMBERS TO COME UP WITH A VIABLE SOLUTION TO THE TENT ENCAMPMENT PROBLEM.
MOVING TENT ENCAMPMENTS TO PUBLIC PARKS AND BEACHES IS NOT THE SOLUTION.
CONTACT MIKE BONIN'S OFFICE:
Vishesh Anand / firstname.lastname@example.org
Field Deputy Mar Vista & Del Rey
Councilmember Mike Bonin
City of Los Angeles
(213)444-3508 | 11thdistrict.com
Feel free to read the actual motion. (BUT PLEASE sign this petition and help us keep our community safe.) Thank you for your support.
Complete your signature
0 have signed. Let’s get to 5,000!