CSC: Implement Policy Changes for Trans Prisoners!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 7,500!
In 2016, the Ontario and BC Departments of Corrections instituted major policy changes with regards to how trans prisoners are housed, searched, and given access to medical care. But the Correctional Services of Canada (CSC) still lags far behind in recognizing the rights of trans prisoners.
Sign this petition now to help implement policy changes for trans prisoners housed by the CSC.
Trans prisoners are still required to have Sexual Reassignment Surgery in order to be housed in a prison that corresponds to their gender identity. Meanwhile, the limited rights that are afforded to trans prisoners can be difficult to access, making it challenging if not impossible for trans prisoners to undergo such procedures in order to obtain appropriate housing.
In collaboration with several of our trans members currently incarcerated in CSC prisons, we have drafted a list of policy demands that cover housing, medical care, access to gendered clothing, and more - summarized below. We encourage you to sign this petition and join us in demanding positive policy changes for trans prisoners.
- Ensure access to qualified health professionals.
- Give all trans prisoners the right to choose their gendered housing in prison.
- Offer private shower and bathroom access for trans prisoners.
- Allow prisoners to choose which guards perform searches.
- Provide access to clothing and personal items regardless of gender.
- Raise wages and living allowances.
- End involuntary segregation.
- Ease access for outside groups and visitors.
- Always prioritize alternatives to incarceration.
Sign this petition to help implement these policy changes for trans prisoners housed by the CSC.
Today: Prisoner Correspondence Project is counting on you
Prisoner Correspondence Project needs your help with “Correctional Services of Canada: Action for Trans Prisoners”. Join Prisoner Correspondence Project and 5,101 supporters today.