Give CookNSolo Workers Paid Sick Leave
This petition made change with 1,170 supporters!
CookNSolo, one of Philadelphia’s largest restaurant groups which includes Zahav, Goldie Falafel, Dizengoff, and Federal Donuts, among others, is refusing to pay its workers for their accrued sick and vacation time. On March 16th, CookNSolo closed all of their restaurants, encouraged everyone to apply for unemployment benefits, and stated that we were more than welcome to use any paid time off we had accrued. On March 18th, we were told that management was processing payroll and paying everyone out for all the sick time they had earned. Two days later we were told that this would not be financially possible.
According to the extension of Philadelphia’s paid sick leave law enacted on March 20th, all employers must pay employees for their earned days off BEFORE termination. When we explained this to our managers, their response was that this legislation only applied to active employees and that our date of termination was March 16th. However, it wasn’t until March 21st that we received notice that we had been terminated on the 16th. This termination notice acts solely as an excuse to deny us sick leave before Philadelphia passed the extension of the law.
CookNSolo’s fundraising effort ignores the needs of many employees. We have been kept in the dark about how this fund was going to be distributed until March 21st, when we learned that newer and part-time employees would not be eligible for these funds. This goes contrary to what CookNSolo publicly claimed: that the funds would support ALL of their roughly 400 hourly workers.
This situation has left many vulnerable workers behind, while we fight for what we can and do our best to support one another. Sign this petition to support us if you agree with our demands! You can also contribute to our relief fund via venmo: @goldiediz_relief. Philly belongs to the workers -- it’s time our bosses learned that.
1. We demand that CookNSolo pay all of its workers their accrued sick and vacation time, as they are legally required to.
2. We demand that all workers, full-time and part-time, be eligible for the relief fund collected in our name, regardless of date of hire.
3. We demand transparency and a say in the process of dividing the relief fund amongst workers.
4. We demand a public apology from Michael Solomonov and Steve Cook to all employees for withholding their accrued paid time off as well as not including their voices in a fund collected in their name.
5. We demand that all CookNSolo workers are rehired upon reopening without fear of retribution for standing up for their rights and dignity.
Today: CookNSolo is counting on you
CookNSolo Workers needs your help with “CookNSolo: Give CookNSolo Workers Paid Sick Leave”. Join CookNSolo and 1,169 supporters today.