We the undersigned believe that Anthony Ortolani knowingly abandoned his dog Missy on Mount Bierstadt in Colorado.
Ortolani told The Denver Channel that he was forced to leave his pet on the mountain Aug. 5, when a storm moved in and he became worried for the safety of a younger hiker who was with him. He said his dog’s feet were cut up from walking on sharp rocks and it could no longer walk.
We offer the following points to why Anthony Ortolani should not be reunited with Missy:
1. Knowing the conditions of the trail, Missy did not have adequate protection on her paws, making the hike a painful and torturous affair.
2. Between the two hikers, Anthony Ortolani could have gotten Missy down before she was too weak to walk.
3. Missy was left for dead and found Eight days after he left her on the Mountain.
4. Anthony Ortolani made no attempts to go back up the Mountain and rescue his dog.
5. Anthony Ortolani wanted Missy back only after she was discovered near death and only through the valiant efforts of the Washburns was she rescued.
Anthony Ortolani clearly left Missy up there for dead, made no effort to even reclaim her body, and only wanted her return after she was rescued and nursed back to health.
Anthony Ortolani is the epitome of an irresponsible pet owner and therefore it would be cruel and inhumane to reunite him with Missy. We ask that the County of Clear Creek give ownership of Missy to the Washburns who clearly have more compassion for the welfare of Missy than Anthony Ortolani did. Furthermore, before Anthony Ortolani is allowed to have another dog we ask that he be required to attend animal care and welfare classes and prove that he is capable of providing the care and wellness a pet needs.
Thank you for your time,
The Undersigned of this petition.
William Prince started this petition with a single signature, and now has 3,810 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.