Saving Egyptian Heritage
This petition had 225 supporters
The Egyptian Heritage is under unprecedented danger as archaeological sites are looted, as museums are targeted for destruction and theft, as historical buildings are wantonly demolished, and as people’s intangible heritage is threatened. We strongly condemn all such actions, and call upon all concerned to do their utmost to undertake those measures that would safeguard Egypt’s rich, varied and multilayered heritage. Such measures include:
- Undertaking, as a matter of urgency, the protection to archaeological sites and museums, not on an ad hoc basis, but according to the methods recognized by international organizations, including risk management, and the provision of the necessary equipment, experts, and funding.
- Providing the required training and know-how to those entrusted with conserving Egypt’s heritage resources.
- Mounting a campaign to enhance public awareness of the meanings, values, and significance of heritage and its role in development to all sectors of Society, including policy makers.
- consideration of the organizational structure and integration of the governmental agencies in charge to heritage and monuments and to implement, revise, and introduce new laws and legal measures in accordance with articles 47, 49, and 50 in the 2014 Constitution.
- Ensuring genuine partnership with local communities.
We acknowledge and appreciate the efforts underway by concerned individuals and civic society groups toward safeguarding and protecting the threatened heritage of Egypt and call upon them to coordinate their actions within the framework of “Civic Committee of Heritage and Monuments” to be entrusted with mobilizing the role and partnership of society in monitoring dangers, proposing solutions, participating in training and public awareness activities, conserving heritage resources for future generations, mobilizing heritage for the public, common good and human development, promoting the dialogue among cultures for peace, recognizing cultural plurality on the basis of equity, ensuring the vitality of natural heritage, and viewing heritage as the outcome of social professes and cultural dynamics that have shaped our Sense of self and identity, and as a social force shaped in the present.
Today: Nano is counting on you
Nano Qotb needs your help with “Civic Society: Saving Egyptian Heritage”. Join Nano and 224 supporters today.