Tell the City we want Oak Street Bicycle and Pedestrian Improvements
This petition had 327 supporters
The City of Phoenix IS redesigning Oak Street from 3rd Street to the 51, with construction planned for mid-2019. As you know Oak Street, through Coronado is a very wide street with no current paint markings, which leads to extremely fast rates of speed for cars. This type of speeding is discouraging pedestrian and bicycle activities along Oak through Coronado. The City would like to change this speeding condition because Oak is identified as a major thoroughfare in their Bicycle Master Plan. The city presented their preferred design alternatives at an open house back in February. The event was well attended by residents. After the open house a group of residents got together to create tweaks to the city’s design which we think would enhance the project and enhance Coronado generally, into a more walk able, bicycle friendly neighborhood.
The neighborhood created design alternative to the city’s versions includes the following tweaks (see aerial concept design):
1. Chicanes (curb bump outs) alternating between north and south sides of the road to slow traffic to a speed better suited for a neighborhood street.
a. The alternating chicanes would provide some on-street parking on both sides of Oak.
2. Street trees planted in the chicanes to enhance the shade on the sidewalk for pedestrians and bicyclists.
3. Green painted bike lanes that go straight behind the landscaped chicanes, protecting bike riders from traffic in some areas.
4. The use of the historic lamp post type street lights rather than the standard, large overhead streetlights.
This type of “complete street” is something the city has been talking about in its plans for a few years now, yet they have not implemented this type of project yet. I think Coronado is the right community for the city to unveil one of their first forward thinking streets projects in Phoenix! However, for the city to go all in on this project, we need to show them how much we want it in our neighborhood. They will end up doing a basic paint striping if we do not show them that we want something more progressive! Oak could be a model project for future bicycle and pedestrian scale infrastructure improvements across Phoenix!
Ps. Some clarifications, this proposed new treatment would be on all the 45’ and 40’ wide street sections from 3rd st all the way to the 51. We are proposing these as add on items and are not proposing changing what is already proposed below:
o Adding sidewalk between 10th St and Dayton;
o Further slowing traffic through the Traffic Circle on 12th St, via a design TBD.
o Redoing the ‘alley’ from 14th st to 16th st to discourage high rates of vehicle speeds through the narrow section.
Please sign the petition if you would like the city to invest in a walk able urban street!
Some City of Phoenix plans we would like to help them implement!
· Bicycle Master Plan, which promotes connectivity and bike ability ;
· Reinvent Phoenix, which heavily utilizes streetscapes to develop “walkable opportunity- rich communities” ;
· Plan PHX, which is the city’s general plan, which at its core is billed as “the Connected Oasis” through which transportation or streetscapes weigh heavily ;
· 2050 Sustainability Goals and Targets, which targets transit and parks and green ways in every neighborhood ;
· And finally Prop 104, which voters passed in August 2015, which will help fund an $31.5 billion transportation plan for the city. Much of which is earmarked for bicycle lanes and street scape improvements .
Today: Drew is counting on you
Drew Bryck needs your help with “City of Phoenix: Oak Street Bicycle and Pedestrian Improvements”. Join Drew and 326 supporters today.