Australia needs a space agency
This petition had 298 supporters
Space is often the setting for Sci-Fi movies and fantasy worlds, but it has so much more potential than just being a part of a fictional story.
Advancements in space have been the platform for some of the greatest technological breakthroughs of the last century: including GPS, smoke detectors, portable computing and medical equipment. Without humanity’s desire to expand its universe, we wouldn’t be able to use, let alone have the map app on our phone.
Australia has a rich history when it comes to space, but does not have a Space Agency. This has crippled our space industry. Here are 10 reasons why Australia urgently needs a Space Agency:
1. To establish how satellites can solve Australia’s problems
2. To lead the development of satellite programs identified as useful
3. To be a technically informed customer representing the government
4. To provide leadership on technical space issues
5. To drag Australia out of its “freeloader” approach to satellite utilisation
6. To allow Australia to communicate with international agencies at a technical level
7. To fill the gap in technical responsibilities in space
9. To stabilise space funding
10. To ensure our very best young engineers are not forced to go overseas if they want to pursue their ambitions in space
So there are plenty of reasons to establish a space agency - otherwise, Australia will remain “lost in space”.
Today: Rob is counting on you
Rob Sutton needs your help with “Christopher Pyne: Australia needs a space agency”. Join Rob and 297 supporters today.