Make Rail Pay It's Way - Cut Rail Spending
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
Tax payers are being taken for a very expensive ride by an excessive and undemocratic rail spend, which is now 150% of road spend.
The rail spend is now £14.8bn / year and is likely to increase year on year and yet rail serves just 10% of the working population
If it only serves a tenth of the working population, it should only be entitled to a tenth of road spending.
The government cannot come back with 'we do not recognise these figures' as all the figures are extracted from government data.
- Rail spending is now £14.8bn/year, which is 150% of the £10bn road spend.
- Rail spend is now 36p / passenger mile, 12 times the road spend of 3p / road mile.
- Rail is used for only 5% of all journeys against road which is used for 90% of all journeys.
- Rail moves only 10% of land freight and road carries 90%
- Road carries freight at a fraction of rail cost even though road is taxed at 13p / mile
- The road budget maintains nearly 250,000 miles of road against just 10,000 miles of rail track.
- Road taxes (direct and indirect) are now around £50bn/year and yet rail has not made a real profit since the mid 50's.
- Road spending has been constant at around £10bn / year for a decade and yet rail spending is increasing year on year.
For more information goto www.makerailpay.org.uk
Today: Make Rail Pay It's Way is counting on you
Make Rail Pay It's Way needs your help with “Chris Grayling: Make Rail Pay It's Way - Cut Rail Spending”. Join Make Rail Pay It's Way and 87 supporters today.