Rama First Nations collective future depends upon improved financial accountability and reporting, and implementing more responsible financial policies including cuts to leadership wages. Current wages are unrealistic in this economy and we the people of Rama First Nation prefer wage cuts to leadership over job losses to community members.
Financial Accountability & Transparency Petition
Date: Friday, September 7, 2012
We the band members of the Chippewas of Rama First Nation hereby petition Chief and Council regarding the following:
NOTE: Please find enclosed a list of band members who are 16-17 years of age and will be eligible to vote or run as a candidate in the next election in 2014. We believe that those band members should be included in this petition.
1) CUTS TO ALL WAGES which include Chief and Council, Band Manager, C.F.O, and Departmental Supervisors, Directors and Managers or restructure if there is a refusal. This being said, followed with putting job shadowing and training in place with short time lines to begin utilizing our employed band members and furthermore, to hire band members who need jobs.
2) SEVERANCE PACKAGES for Chief and Council:
You are ELECTED by the people to work for the people and inform the people regarding ALL band issues/business. THIS IS NOT A HIRED JOB POSITION, therefore you should not be entitled to severance package. Employees of the Chippewas of Rama First Nation are the only ones who should receive a severance package because they will never be rehired to the same job position they are leaving. Chief and Council wages and future raises to be determined and set by the membership in the form of a vote immediately.
3) PERKS of Chief and Council:
a)Clothing Allowance - TO BE ELIMINATED
b) Gas Allowance - TO BE ELIMINATED
NOTE: Gas for travel outside/off reserve to be reimburse by receipt only and accompanied by a report made accessible to all band members. This also includes any other means of travel off reserve on business to why you are going.
c) Christmas bonus - TO BE ELIMINATED
NOTE: Chief and Council receive $4000.00 from the "Looking Far Ahead" Trust just like all other registered band members. This is enough of a bonus and satisfactory to the fact that you are ELECTED INTO AN HONORED POSITION.
4) YEARLY BONUS for each and every employee of the Chippewas of Rama First Nation to be the same across the board and not based on seniority.
5) ALL MINUTES OF MEETINGS be posted on the Rama website and in the Band Office lobby for all band members to view.
6) CONSULTATION TO THE COMMUNITY on all band business and dealings along with community education on how things operate and why they operate that way. Education the community means we move forward together on the same page.
7) The $150.00 CHRISTMAS BONUS cheque that was taken away, brought back for each and every band member (ONLY) household as of December 2012 in the amount of $200.00 yearly.
Furthermore regarding what you have just read, we insist on a community meeting to address our concerns stated here in this said petition. We look forward to a date set up on or before October 31, 2012. This is TRANSPARENCY AND ACCOUNTABILITY put in place by the members of Chippewas of Rama First Nation as it is to us.
PAVING A PATH TO LEAD US TO A PROTECTED FUTURE