Change UK law so the person who raped me when I was a child can be convicted

0 have signed. Let’s get to 2,500!

Child rape. Probably one of the worst things you can ever imagine happening; but how would you feel if you were told that your abuser was not able to be brought to justice because of a legal technicality?

In 2003 the Sexual Offences Act was repealed to state that any persons under the age of 10 are not capable of rape. Prior to this, the Sexual Offences Act 1956 stated that any persons under the age of 15 were not physically capable of rape. Any crimes of rape committed prior to 2003 by anyone 14 or younger cannot be convicted under current law as the law states they must be tried under the Act present at the time of when the crime was committed.

I was 5 years old when I was raped the first time by my cousin and hundreds of times there after over the next two years until I was out of my abusers reach. My cousin was 14 years old when the abuse stopped. Only after 23 years was I finally able to speak out and contact the police. I relived things of which I had never spoken since the day they happened. It was one of the most traumatic and most difficult things I have ever had to do, but I knew I was strong enough if it meant justice would finally be served.

Weeks later I was delivered the devastating news that the case had to be dropped as at the time of the abuse, my cousin was, in the eyes of the law, 'physically incapable of rape'. Due to a legal loophole, my cousin could potentially walk into a police station, admit he raped hundreds of children before he turned 15 years old and still walk away untouched. This thought alone made me sick.

I'm campaigning to get this changed. Why should my abuser be able to walk free, continue with his life and work with children, with no repercussions for his actions? I'm hoping that a bill will be passed in which this legal technicality can be abolished so that myself and thousands of others can finally receive the justice that we deserve.

Rape is rape, no matter who committed the crime. Please help me get this changed. Thank you