Challenge Case Western Reserve University to #SupportSurvivors
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000.
As alumni and friends of Case Western Reserve University, we urge you to heed the call of Emma Bardwell, sexual assault survivor, and a member of the Class of 2017. Revise university policies on sexual assault on campus so they can be enforced, and then follow those policies consistently.
As Ms. Bardwell writes in her editorial in the Observer,
- Listen to us when we speak, and take our input seriously. When someone rapes a fellow student, expel them. ... Alumni are [former] students you are supposed to be proud of, and I don’t think that includes rapists.
- Defend your students. We are the ones who make your school beautiful, and we are the ones who you should be proud to call alumni. Not the people who hurt us.
- Celebrate the ones who are willing to fight. We are the ones with the passion to change the world, and we are the ones who are not afraid to do so.
Further press coverage of this story has appeared in the Cleveland Scene on Friday, May 19.
We call on you, as leaders of Case Western Reserve, to take action. Don't take the summer off -- convene the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees, and appoint a special task force to make recommendations by the first day of classes this fall: August 28.
You lead the university; tell us what we can expect of you, as alumni and friends.
* Barbara Snyder, President, Case Western Reserve University
* Elizabeth J. Keefer, SVP for Administration, General Counsel, and Secretary of the Corporation,
* Bud Baeslack, Provost, Case Western Reserve University
* Bradford Crews, Senior Executive Director, Alumni Relations
- SVP for Administration & General Counsel, Case Western Reserve University
Elizabeth J. Keefer
- Senior Executive Director, Alumni Relations
- President, Case Western Reserve University
- Provost, Case Western Reserve University
We have read the letter by Emma Bardwell in the Observer, and Anmol Nigam's article in the Cleveland Scene. We want you to know that as alumni and friends of the university, we share students' concerns about how survivors of sexual assault are treated within the university.
We want to amplify the call for the university's leaders to:
- acknowledge that there are weaknesses in the existing university policies on sexual assault on campus, and even more important,
- to conduct and impartial investigation of existing practices, to see where gaps exist between policies and the enforcement of them.
We call on you to convene a task force with membership from the board of trustees, no later than the first day of classes on August 28, 2017.
Sandy Piderit started this petition with a single signature, and now has 658 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Sandy is counting on you
Sandy Piderit needs your help with “Challenge Case Western Reserve University to #SupportSurvivors”. Join Sandy and 657 supporters today.