End the Cruelest Slaughter Practices in Canada
This petition had 22,911 supporters
Every year, millions of animals are cut open and even scalded alive while still conscious and able to feel pain.
Please take 20 seconds to speak out against this horrific animal abuse and other cruel slaughter practices by signing this petition calling on the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) to strengthen slaughter regulations.
Investigations by Mercy For Animals, including a shocking hidden-camera exposé of a slaughterhouse owned by Lilydale—one of the largest poultry companies in Canada—have repeatedly documented animals violently shackled upside down, painfully shocked with electricity, cut open, and sometimes even scalded alive in hot water tanks. These abuses must end!
The CFIA is asking for comments on the proposed Safe Food for Canadians Regulations, which includes slaughter regulations.
That’s why we need your help now!
The CFIA needs to hear from as many Canadians as possible that the proposed amendments don’t go far enough. Meaningful regulations must end the cruelest slaughter practices.
Please sign our petition calling on the Canadian government to amend the proposed slaughter regulations to include the following:
- Replacing live-shackle slaughter methods for poultry with less cruel controlled atmosphere systems that eliminate the horrific suffering caused by shackling, shocking, and cutting the throats of conscious animals
- Providing comprehensive training in animal handling and identification of illness and injury in animals for all employees
- Stopping the production line for mishandling of an animal or for failure to render an animal unconscious before slaughter and issuing dissuasive fines and penalties for noncompliance
- Banning the use of electric prods and other cruel devices
- Installing cameras that live stream to the internet to deter malicious animal abuse.
Hurry—the comment period ends on April 21! Make your voice heard by speaking out today! Please sign the petition to tell the CFIA to adopt meaningful animal welfare laws.
Once you’ve signed, please share the petition on social media so we can show the government that Canadians want stronger animal protection regulations.
Mercy For Animals
Vice President, Canada
Today: Mercy For Animals is counting on you
Mercy For Animals needs your help with “CFIA: End the Cruelest Slaughter Practices in Canada”. Join Mercy For Animals and 22,910 supporters today.