Continue coverage for the Cochlear Baha Implant system, a life changing hearing solution
This petition made change with 11,544 supporters!
After decades of struggling with hearing loss and trying several sets of hearing aids, I decided I had to make a change. I finally got smart and got my Baha Implant System when I was 80 years old. I’ve since rediscovered many things I used to enjoy, including going to church and participating in volunteer activities. I owe my renewed spirit to the support I received from CMS and want to ensure my peers have similar access to the life changing technology that I am so fortunate to enjoy.
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) recently proposed a new rule that would change the classification of the Cochlear™ Baha® Implant System under Medicare, treating it as a hearing aid subject to exclusion from typically covered benefits.
If adopted, the rule would:
- Significantly limit access to this life changing technology for Medicare patients
- Interfere with the ability of current Baha Implant System users on Medicare to maintain and upgrade their equipment
Continued Coverage of the Baha Implant System is Critical
- The Baha Implant System is often the last resort for many people who do not receive benefit from hearing aids.
- For people with conditions such as microtia and atresia, wearing hearing aids is not an option – the Baha Implant System is their only hope for better hearing.
- The Baha Implant System has helped well over 100,000 people globally and thanks to the coverage CMS has provided since 2006, it has benefitted thousands in the United States alone.
- If the new proposal were to be accepted, the United States would be one of the very few industrialized nations not to cover this life changing technology for patients in need.
Your Help is Needed. Take Action Now! To support continued access to and coverage of the Baha Implant System under Medicare:
1. Send letters to CMS and your local Congressional representatives. Submit comments to CMS via the official comment process by August 29, 2014.
- Visit CMS
- Click ‘Comment Now’ in upper right hand corner.
- Reference CMS-1614-P in your response. Note: Baha is included in the proposed rule titled "Medicare Program: End Stage Renal...and supplies."
2. Spread the word. Visit www.HelpNowHearAlways.com for more ways you can help.
Today: Mal is counting on you
Mal Simon needs your help with “Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Dept. of Health & Human Services: Continue coverage for the Cochlear Baha Implant system, a life changing hearing solution”. Join Mal and 11,543 supporters today.