Please reinstate the CFC Worldwide Short Film Festival!
This petition had 641 supporters
We, the undersigned respectfully request that the Canadian Film Centre management and board reconsider their decision to put the CFC Worldwide Short Film Festival on “hiatus” (this news was recently posted on http://worldwideshortfilmfest.com/ ).
The CFC Worldwide Short Film Festival occupies a crucial role in the Canadian and international film communities because:
• As one of only four festivals in Canada (and only 75 in the world) accredited by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences®, winners of the Best Live-Action Short and Best Animated Short are eligible for the Academy Awards®; Canadian award winners are eligible for the Genie Awards.
• The CFC Worldwide Short Film Festival provides much-needed promotional profile and distribution potential to Canadian and international short filmmakers, and is an essential festival for emerging drama, documentary and cross platform filmmakers.
• The CFC Worldwide Short Film Festival is the largest festival of short films in North America and also the largest marketplace for the sale and acquisition of short films in North America; the Festival Business Centre offers an unparalleled opportunity for filmmakers to advance their careers.
• Presenting $65,000 in cash and prizes, CFC Worldwide Short Film Festival offers one of the largest prize packages for short film in the world. In 2012, the festival screened 244 films from 35 countries, 207 of which were premieres.
• The CFC Worldwide Short Film Festival presents essential professional development opportunities with the Short Films, BIG IDEAS Symposium -- a series of seminars, panels and workshops on the art and commerce of short filmmaking that provides invaluable information for filmmakers.
• The CFC Worldwide Short Film Festival is uniquely positioned to capitalize on the fluidity of presentation, distribution, and content in contemporary media-making with the potential associations with new media, interactive and cross platform initiatives at the Canadian Film Centre.
• The CFC Worldwide Short Film Festival provides potential for increased revenues and profile for the City of Toronto with its audience of over 15,000, and over 500 attending delegates including the world’s major buyers and distributors of short films.
• After 18 years of staff and volunteer expertise and hard work, essential stakeholder, government and sponsor support, 4-star media reviews and deep appreciation from its delegates and filmmakers, the CFC Worldwide Short Film Festival has an established presence in the international markets and momentum. We implore you to reconsider this decision to place the festival on “hiatus” -- it would inevitably devalue these precious resources and compromise the credibility and distinct brand that took almost two decades to build.
Today: Friends of is counting on you
Friends of CFC Worldwide Short Film Festival needs your help with “Canadian Film Centre Management and Board: Please reinstate the CFC Worldwide Short Film Festival!”. Join Friends of and 640 supporters today.