Implement more effective recycling, composting, and waste management
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
This petition is to let Cal Poly know we support better recycling, compost, and waste management and would like them to pursue this proposal, knowing that there are still details to be worked out and there will be more public input on the process.
Recycling and sustainability are important community values for Cal Poly students. We have been asking to improve recycling and composting for years. So Circle K, a new club on campus, has decided to head an effort to change this. Here are some of the facts taken from the Cal Poly website and reports and reasons why Circle K is taking charge:
Cal Poly has flatlined
- The amount of annual waste diverted from the landfill dropped from 70% in 2013 to 60% in 2014 and has remained there, according to the latest waste metrics report.
- This means that current management of all waste is not working, and something needs to change, and soon if Cal Poly wants to attain their goal of 80% diversion by 2020.
- Include recycling and trash bins on the sidewalks between the Performing Arts Center and Yosemite Hall, as there are none currently.
- Increase recycling/trash bin size in Yosemite and Sierra Madre community centers.
- Fix the compost bin in the lobby of Sequoia Hall.
- Remove or redesign the circular recycling bin covers that are even too small for normal-sized plastic cups to fit into.
- Empty trash/recycling more frequently in the bins in front of Kennedy Library.
- Include a sustainability program during WOW to teach incoming students about the recycling and composting efforts that may be different than from where they live.
- Be more transparent on where compost and recycling end up.
- Include compost bins in all dining areas, at least two per food vendor/restaurant.
Please sign this petition in support of a better environment for us, and a brighter future for next generations to come.
Today: Circle K at Cal Poly is counting on you
Circle K at Cal Poly needs your help with “Cal Poly University SLO: Implement more effective recycling, composting, and waste management”. Join Circle K at Cal Poly and 109 supporters today.