Building Chinatown's Legacy for The Transformation of Oakland
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
After the past seven year Lake Merritt Station Area Planning Process and a previous development, BART has restarted a development process for two of the blocks in the station areas: (1) Where the BART Station Parking Lot currently is and (2) The MetroCenter Block which currently houses the BART Police as well as Asian Health Services' Administrative Headquarters.
Various stakeholders and supporters would like to establish a hub of activity of the Lake Merritt Station that connects and grows the existing communities, including Chinatown.
We are encouraging BART to integrate an aggressive platform of community benefits into their new development:
1) Community control of 120,000 square feet of community and non-profit space
2) $1M contribution to Madison Park
3) 200 affordable housing units
Our goal is to establish a distinct “community thumbprint” that extends the legacy and current Asian community core that is Oakland Chinatown. We share a vision of a vibrant community hub that intentionally strengthens the Asian community, helps Chinatown thrive, and engages community voices toward a cohesive and engaged neighborhood and beyond. It is a holistic vision that will serve as an attractive magnet to and for Chinatown. This will build ridership, pencil out for BART’s bottom line, and excite, engage, and enthrall the community in true partnership.
We urge BART to commit to this highest community use as a complement to the principle of highest feasibility - a commitment that will signal to the community that we will be able to exert our rights and have the resources to continue to grow, thrive and become a strong and vibrant neighborhood.
Please support our efforts
- Asian Health Services
- Asian Immigrant Women’s Advocates
- Asian Pacific Environmental Network
- Asian Pacific Islander Youth Promoting Advocacy and Leadership
- Asian Prisoner Support Committee
- Association of Asian Pacific Community Health Organizations
- Buddhist Church of Oakland
- Chinese American Citizens Alliance-Oakland Lodge
- Chinatown Community Development Center
- Chinese Community United Methodist Church
- Chinese Progressive Association
- East Bay Asian Local Development Corporation
- Family Bridges, Inc.
- Filipino Advocates for Justice
- Friends of Lincoln Square
- Institute for Sustainable Economic Educational and Environmental Design
- New Hope Chinese Cancer Care Foundation
- Oakland Asian Cultural Center
- OCA-Asian Pacific American Advocates: East Bay Chapter
- Wa Sung Community Service Club
- Alan Yee
- Lailan Huen
- Karoleen Feng
Today: Michael is counting on you
Michael Lok needs your help with “Building Chinatown's Legacy for The Transformation of Oakland”. Join Michael and 454 supporters today.