We Demand a Freight Impact Study and Public Comment Period!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
Related to the Two Mile Long Holding Track, there is a proposal to install holding tracks in Glenview, Illinois as well as Lake Forest, Illinois to facilitate the parking of two-mile-long freight trains during yield times for commuter rail creating a detrimental impact to the residential communities in Glenview, Northbrook, Deerfield, Bannockburn and Lake Forest, Illinois.
While the initial Environmental Assessment fell far short of determining the true overall impact of this project, no Freight Train assessment was included in the initial report. The parking of freight trains for undetermined amounts of time through primarily residential neighborhoods carries with it many inherent dangers to our communities.
- Impact of Diesel emissions during times of idling freight trains
- Rail cars that leak hazardous materials while idling
- Increased potential for freight train derailments, there have already been four, one in which 2 people lost their lives
- Potential evacuation zone in the event of a major chemical spill and the ability of the communities to handle such a disaster
- Impacts on designated environmentally sensitive habitats in the corridor
- Decrease in overall property values
- Decrease in the overall quality of life in these communities
- Detrimental effect of new switching configurations to occur in major downtown neighborhoods
- Increase in grade crossing disruptions throughout the corridor
- Disruption of travel access to several schools, hospitals, and other vital community services
- Detrimental effect of the overall construction process to install the holding tracks and switches
- Increase in already present noise and vibration issues experienced throughout these communities
If you live in Glenview, Northbrook, Deerfield, Bannockburn or Lake Forest Illinois, we urge you sign this petition, our goal is to reach and obtain 5000+ signatures. Each signature will be recorded and sent to the 6 state and federal representatives attached to this petition. There is currently no law requiring a public comment period following the release of the revised Environmental Assessment. In addition, there is currently no guarantee that any freight impact will be fully evaluated in the revised EA to be released. These are NOT acceptable terms! In addition to signing this petition, we urge you to write independently to your elected officials at local, state and federal levels and insist that these terms be met!
Additional Information can be found by visiting these sites:
In addition: The Village of Glenview will be hosting a Public Forum, set for March 12, 2018, 7:00 pm. at the Glenbrook South Highschool Auditorium, located at 4000 West Lake Avenue, Glenview, IL 60026, details or updates will follow, we are hoping for a massive turn out!
**Please note, if you are prompted to make a donation following your signature of this petition, your donation will be going to Change.org for their continued services, your donations will not be applied directly to this petition in any way.
Today: Gary is counting on you
Gary Dubofsky needs your help with “Bruce Rauner: We Demand a Freight Impact Study and Public Comment Period!”. Join Gary and 837 supporters today.