Save our pets and wildlife from rat poison!

Save our pets and wildlife from rat poison!

0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
At 1,500 signatures, this petition is more likely to get picked up by local news!
Carissa Santoyo started this petition to Governor Brad Little and

Environmental: 
The environmental impact that rat poison has can be devastating. If a mouse/rat eats rat poison and dies, a larger predator may eat the rat and also die. Birds of prey are at high risk for this happening. Birds like the Bald Eagle, Falcon, and many other species are dying by secondary poisoning. They live off killing mice and when they get an infected mouse to eat their life is over. 

In some cases, dogs and cats will die because of eating an infected rat/mouse. I read about the type of poison that Tomcat uses on their website. It states on the website that it takes 1-2 days before a mouse dies from the poison. (https://www.tomcatbrand.com/en-us/library/using-baits/how-use-bait-stations-get-rid-mice-rats#:~:text=The%20rodent%2C%20seeking%20out%20food,use%20either%20indoors%20or%20outdoors It takes 2-36 hours before you may start seeing the first neurological signs in your pet or wild animal that the poison is working. It may start with paralysis, seizures, tremors, weakness, lethargy, ataxia, and eventually death.

We can make a change by making rat poison illegal for sale. Many pet owners have lost pets due to this tragic cycle. We can make a difference by not allowing homeowners or extermination businesses to use this as their pest control method. There are other ways to get rid of pests other than using a neurotoxin to kill these animals and countless innocent animals. 

Personal experience:

Just recently my family was put through one of the worst experiences of our life. We recently moved into a new house and were working on house renovations. My brother had walked inside to get a supply for cleaning the garage. As he walked inside he saw our 6-pound toy poodle eating a block of Tomcat rat poison. He did not know what she was eating (our family has never used or will ever use rat poison so we do not know what it looks like) so he asked our mom if she knew what she was eating. My mom immediately knew what it was. We had a friend visiting who was just pulling out of the driveway-she immediately rushed my mom and my dog to the emergency room. After pumping her stomach and giving her large amounts of charcoal my mom was allowed to take her home. As I write this I am hoping and praying that she will make it through this. She has had no visible symptoms but we are waiting for the 36-hour benchmark. I would never wish anyone to go through what my family is going through. Even though our sweet dog is pulling through I want to make a change now. You can help me make this change. Please sign my petition to end the sale of rat poisons. When you do, you are putting your name on a list of people who care about our pets, wildlife, and the needless extended suffering of wildlife. 

 

Links for further research and to verify my points.

https://www.automatictrap.com/blogs/news/how-rat-poisons-can-harm-other-animals#:~:text=Rat%20poison%20has%20a%20similar,in%20the%20environment%20are%20gone

https://wildcalifornia.org/cannabis-agriculture/super-toxic-rat-poison 

https://www.automatictrap.com/blogs/news/the-dangers-of-using-rat-poison 

https://www.addl.purdue.edu/newsletters/1997/spring/bromoethalin.shtml

0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
At 1,500 signatures, this petition is more likely to get picked up by local news!