BOYCOTT Spirit Halloween -- owned by ACON INVESTMENTS !
* * * You can also CALL ACON INVESTMENTS (OWNER OF SPIRIT HALLOWEEN) AT THEIR CORPORATE HEADQUARTERS AT (202) 454-1100 TO TELL THEM TO STOP SEXUALIZING CHILDREN / YOUNG GIRLS.
This company is MAKING MONEY by portraying children as SEX OBJECTS & sexualizing our kids !
* To see Spirit Halloween’s original ads encouraging 9 year old girls and 13 year old girls to experiment sexually with boys, go to this link:
Spirit Halloween sexualizes children/young girls, and markets SEXY children's costumes, for 9 year old girls (tweens) and 13 year old girls (teens).
** 10/26/12: Watch this new video by Miss Representation at a local Spirit Halloween store -- you'll see how the majority of the young girls' costumes were of the "sexy kids" variety - and Spirit was selling children's sexy FISHNET STOCKINGS:
Spirit Halloween has over 1,000 stores across the United States.
Spirit Halloween portrays children as SEX OBJECTS in their highly sexualized kids' costumes and ads.
** Look at their ad for this extremely sexualized TWEEN "army girl" child's costume for 9 year old girls:
** and this TWEEN "Goldilocks" costume for 9 year old girls that looks like an ADULT fantasy sex costume:
* As of 10/18/12, Spirit Halloween was encouraging 13 year old girls to have sexual experiences with boys in their TEEN Rag Doll child's costume ad: "You are all grown up now so why not find out if big boys like to play with dolls!"
* As of 10/18/12, Spirit Halloween was encouraging 9 year old girls to experiment sexually with boys in their "Celebrikitty" TWEEN costume ad: "You'll be playing cat and mouse with all the boys.”
* On 10/19/12, Spirit Halloween was forced to change their SEXUAL ad wording for children’s costumes after a "Not Buying It" Twitter campaign by Miss Representation:
Spirit Halloween’s marketing of SEXY children’s costumes is putting pressure on kids to look sexy – this sexualization of children is an OUTRAGE, and is having a dangerous and destructive impact on our kids:
A July 2012 study found that 6 year old girls want to be sexy and see themselves as sex objects: http://www.livescience.com/21609-self-sexualization-young-girls.html
Sexualizing young girls and young women can cause eating disorders, low self-esteem, depression and negative body image, according to a 2007 American Psychological Association Task Force on the Sexualization of Girls:
Tell Spirit Halloween, and their owner, ACON INVESTMENTS to STOP marketing SEXY children’s costumes, STOP sexualizing our kids, and that you won’t buy their costumes!
National Organization for Women San Gabriel Valley Chapter (CA) started this petition with a single signature, and now has 724 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.