Reevaluate Scarborough, Maine Schools start times for more balanced approach
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
While we fully support the leaderships’ intention behind adjusting school start times, we strongly believe that the proposed schedule is too severe and will create multiple problems for every age group:
- The age group (K-5) that requires the most sleep will get less.
- Bus routes will begin at 7 a.m. and last up to 50 minutes (or more) each way, something that the Board of Education repeatedly guaranteed would not happen. Safety of children is paramount and having K to 5 children walking to and waiting for their bus before sunrise is unacceptable
- Lengthened bus rides will last more than 50 minutes for various schools, not just for students living the greatest distance away.
- Children of working parents will spend more time in aftercare and away from home. This is financial problem for parents and a sacrifice we should not ask our youngest students to make.
- Some athletic teams for students may be merged so that they can continue to play other schools in our athletic district
- High School athletes may require early release on game days, putting strain on instructional time
- Neighboring municipalities are using Scarborough as an example of what ‘not to do’ as they implement their own schedule changes.
Many of the promises made by the School Board have been broken, and major questions remain unanswered. Because of this, it is imperative that this decision be reevaluated.
While we respect the Board’s intention of striving to secure ideal sleep cycle needs for all students, this change is so extreme that unintended problems are being created for all age groups. We respectfully ask that the Board of Education reopen the discussion and revisit a compromise solution.
Today: Scarborough Residents Against the Current School Start Time Change Plan is counting on you
Scarborough Residents Against the Current School Start Time Change Plan needs your help with “email@example.com: Reevaluate Scarborough Schools start times for more balanced approach”. Join Scarborough Residents Against the Current School Start Time Change Plan and 1,019 supporters today.