A Call for Action to Stop Human Rights Abuses in Eritrea
This petition had 1,410 supporters
October 29, 2015 Secretary-General, Ban Ki-moon, The Security Council, The Human Rights Council, Distinguished members of the Human Rights Council, Excellencies, Ladies and Gentlemen,
Despite the heavy sacrifices and the ultimate price Eritreans paid for independence and self-government during the 30-year struggle; the nation of Eritrea has been led by one of the world’s most enduring totalitarian, Isaias Afwerki and the only ruling political entity, the People's Front for Democracy and Justice (PFDJ). The oppressive regime, authoritarian rule, and dictatorship has led the state of Eritrea to become a nation where human rights are non-existent. Fear and repression have been the awful reality for over two decades for the Eritrean people, forcing Eritreans to flee their beloved nation in droves.
The following are violations of human rights in Eritrea:
- Arbitrary arrests and detention, including incommunicado detention, extrajudicial killings, torture, inhumane prison conditions, ill treatment
- Indefinite military conscription and forced labor that amounts to a form of slavery in the name of “national service” that has stolen the future of successive generations who are now fleeing the country in huge numbers and raising concerns to refugee-fatigued Europe and other regions
- Prisoners of conscience who languish in over 300 jails without due process at court
- No implementation of the Constitution, no elections, no legitimate and legal governmental system
- Restrictions to freedoms of movement of expression, and opinion, assembly, association, religious beliefs; sexual and gender-based violence; and violations of children’s rights, denial of basic economic rights
We, Eritrean justice seekers, are asking the International Community, Human Rights Advocates, and activists to lend support and urge the United Nations and its Human Rights Bodies such as the Human Rights Council and the Commission of Inquiry on Human Rights in Eritrea to immediately act upon the findings of the COIE and hold Isaias Afwerki and the People's Front for Democracy and Justice (PFDJ) regime accountable for crimes against humanity; and face justice before the International Community and at the International Criminal Court (ICC).
Thank you for your time and consideration of this request, we sincerely hope for all to support this urgent endeavor.
Sincerely, Eritreans in North America in Support of the Commission of Inquiry on Human Rights in Eritrea ENA4COI@gmail.com
Today: A Call for Action to Stop Human Rights Abuses in Eritrea is counting on you
A Call for Action to Stop Human Rights Abuses in Eritrea needs your help with “Ban Ki-moon: A Call for Action to Stop Human Rights Abuses in Eritrea”. Join A Call for Action to Stop Human Rights Abuses in Eritrea and 1,409 supporters today.