Pass the Farmworker Fair Labor Practices Act (S. 1291/ A. 4762).
This petition had 701 supporters
Although New York’s farmworkers form the backbone of the state’s multibillion agricultural industry, these workers are excluded from basic labor law protections under state and federal law. This statutory relic of the Jim Crow era deprives more than 80,000 farmworkers of the rights that other workers take for granted.
The Farmworkers Fair Labor Practices Act would end this injustice. This new law would:
• Provide farmworkers overtime pay of at least time and one half after 8 hours of work in a day or 40 hours of work in a week.
• Allow farmworkers one day of rest each week, which they may decline.
• Give farmworkers the right to organize and bargain collectively for the purposes of representing and protecting their interests.
• Ensure that farmworker housing facilities meet basic standards under the Sanitary Code, including: structurally safe buildings, clean water, adequate light and ventilation, and facilities for sewage disposal.
• Provide farmworkers with unemployment pay when laid off from work or terminated.
• Require employers to provide workers’ compensation benefits to all farmworkers who are injured during the course of employment.
• Require a foreman or supervisor who learns that a farmworker is injured on the job to inform the farm owner of that injury.
• Allow farmworkers to receive disability benefits when unable to work due to non-job related sickness or injuries.
• Prohibit employers from discharging or discriminating against a farmworker who attempts to seek workers’ compensation for injuries suffered on the job by requesting a claim form.
We, the undersigned, call on Governor Andrew Cuomo and all New York State legislators to immediately pass and implement the Farmworker Fair Labor Practices Act (Espaillat: S. 1291/Nolan: A. 4762).
Today: Justice for Farmworkers Coalition is counting on you
Justice for Farmworkers Coalition needs your help with “Andrew Cuomo: Pass the Farmworker Fair Labor Practices Act (S. 1291/ A. 4762).”. Join Justice for Farmworkers Coalition and 700 supporters today.