Airports authority of India: review parking fees at Bhubaneswar airport
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
DRIVE/RACE Through in ‘5-Minutes’ or pay INR 55!!
WHERE DID THE RULE TO CHARGE PARKING FEES FOR VEHICLES THAT DON’T USE THE PARKING SPACE, AND JUST DRIVE THROUGH, COME FROM?
IF THERE IS A PLACE WHERE THIS IS RULE IS PRESENT, FEEL FREE TO LET ME KNOW AND DISCARD MY CHANGE REQUEST!
1. I looked up AAI website and DGCA as well. I do not see any clearly spelt out guidelines
This PDF is the AAI’s Terminal Management Manual. Page 74, in the manual is about the public services, which has no guidelines on parking fees. The DGCA website, which may not be very relevant to check for this information also obviously doesn’t have any information.
2. This now brings me to check the website of the Bhubaneswar airport, which obviously doesn’t exist.
Now I had a look the AERA website (above), for public notices or circulars on this. And I am sure you won’t be surprised to know, nothing on these lines exist there as well.
At the link above there is no information on this atrocious 5 min timeline to charge vehicles a parking fee of INR55.
In this link above, the Airport Director Sharad Kumar, shares hike in parking charges and the quote from the page below:
"As per the rules, any vehicle that spends more than five minutes at the Airport, will have to pay the parking fee. The only silver lining is that the authorities have relaxed the norm a bit by allowing the vehicles to exhaust their time at a point 50m away from the exit gate. Earlier, the five-minute halting period was being calculated between the entry and exit gates. In case of parking of the vehicles, only two hours will be allowed. Any vehicle exceeding the time duration, will have to pay a fresh fee.
E-TENDER FOR MANAGEMENT OF VEHICLE PARKING RIGHTS INFRONT OF NEW DOMESTIC TERMINAL BUILDING-T1 AND INTERNATIONAL TERMINAL-T2, BIJU PATNAIK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, BHUBANESWAR. BID INVITATION NO. 1000017049
This link above, has the tender document, which has only 5 pages out of the 35 designated on the AAI website and obviously doesn’t have anything about this “5-minute Rule”. Will be glad to see if there is!!
6. What is noteworthy at this link is “Biju Patnaik International Airport has been under scanner for gross violation of rules related to parking and reports of assault and molestation by parking staff, was also reported. The Airport authorities have now taken control of the operations and fresh tender will be invited soon.”
· This link below has more testimony of the chaos this rule is causing. (I have had a bad altercation with the supervisor of the fee booth guy myself)
· Here is an instance of the Mumbai Airport, with not exactly similar but a related problem.
ü I have seen photocopy of a legal document at the booth where they collect fees. This document was some sort of an agreement between the vendor and the Bhubaneswar Airport Authority. Since, there are no central guidelines, it gets me to the conclusion, that it is just a revenue-generation model by the authorities
ü If this is to bring discipline in vehicles not being parked for long at the departure area, which is a cultural problem amongst us, have cameras to track time of the vehicles parked in drop off/arrival area and fine them, if they linger around
ü This will at least help bring sanity and not everyone has to pay unnecessarily or behave like a formula one driver, risking safety to save money
Today: Bibhuti is counting on you
Bibhuti Mishra needs your help with “Airports authority of India: review parking fees at Bhubaneswar airport.”. Join Bibhuti and 49 supporters today.