Act immediately to reduce plastic waste in supermarkets
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
Plastic waste is a critical problem for both the natural environment and the integrity of our own food supply. The Ellen MacArthur Foundation predicts that there will be more plastic waste than fish in the oceans by 2050. This is a crisis that must be dealt with immediately.
We, the undersigned, request that the UK's leading supermarkets take immediate action to reduce the unnecessary use of non-recyclable plastics in stores.
We ask that supermarkets take the following actions:
- Stop unnecessarily wrapping fresh produce, such as fruit and vegetables, in plastic film.
- Use recyclable packaging for own-brand products wherever possible.
- Investigate the use of so-called "nudge" techniques to discourage customers from buying plastic & reduce overall demand for plastic packaging.
- Investigate the possibility of introducing an in-store deposit-return scheme for plastic bottles until such time as national or local government provides an equivalent service.
- Launch a full investigation into ways to reduce plastic waste in a successful supermarket business model.
As market leaders you have a responsibility to provide customers with sufficient options to reduce their own plastic use, and you have a moral obligation to protect the environment in which your businesses thrive.
Please consider this petition.
Today: Community UK is counting on you
Community UK needs your help with “Act immediately to reduce plastic waste in supermarkets”. Join Community UK and 1,359 supporters today.