Change the name of Goodwill to Badwill

0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!


Goodwill’s mission statement is that it: strives to enhance the dignity and quality of life of individuals and families by helping people reach their full potential through education, skills training and the power of work. Sounds great, and you can even use it as a tax write off. However, this year I have discovered something new. That mission statement of Goodwill says nothing about donation to people in need, or helping the impoverished.The actions of Goodwill are not an act of charity, and this deceptive corporation should be boycotted.

Goodwill’s own website accessed January of this year discusses the ease and convenience of which to donate items to their facilities.  It includes a convenient way to record your tax write offs, and has a page dedicated to make sure you donate to a proper Goodwill donation bin, and not another competing organization.  The reason Goodwill is concerned about competing organizations is simple: other thrift shops or actual charities  cut into goodwill’s supply line, and ultimately, Goodwill’s profit. Goodwill receives hundreds of bags of donated clothes daily, but only about 10 percent of donated clothes actually make it onto the rack according to Suzy Strutner’s article in the November 2017 article in the Huffington Post. The other 90 percent is sold by weight to textile recyclers, or the trash. According to the Huffington post, when Goodwill throws away a piece of clothing it  “...join[s] the approximately 12.8 million tons of American textile waste...And that benefits no one.”  Not only is Goodwill neglectful to recycling, a key purpose of thrifting, but they make profits by underpaying the underprivileged! According to Susan Adams in her October expose` in Forbes, “Goodwill is paying some of its disabled workers just 22 cents an hour, while the charity’s executives make six figure salaries. A labor law loophole enables the practice.” Twenty two cents an hour! This labor law enables charities and companies with special certification to pay disabled workers based on their abilities. Not only is this an atrocity in general, but Goodwill is suppose to be giving back to the community and helping those in need. According to the The American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations in 2015, Goodwill International CEO Jim Gibbons made $729,000 in salary and deferred compensation. The CEOs of Goodwill franchises across the country, according to Monica Alba and Mark Schones investigative report released by NBC in 2013, was collectively more than $30 million dollars. But if you calculate the average salary of the 22 cent an hour worker if they worked a standard year, they would have made in that entire time... only $440 dollars.  

We NEED to start viewing this organization for what it is, a business and not a charity.  Even if you are unable to donate, if you just spread the message that Goodwill is not really a charity, you are helping. Most importantly the next time you go thrifting do it somewhere that pays its worker an hourly wage of more than a quarter.



Today: N is counting on you

N A needs your help with “ABC: Goodwill to Badwill”. Join N and 35 supporters today.