A Petition in Favour of Courage and Compassion
This petition made change with 1,788 supporters!
My husband, Romit Shah, was diagnosed with Blood Cancer in 2011, at the age of 26. Since our coming to Australia in 2006, Romit successfully pursued his post-graduation in Environmental Engineering while I did a post-graduate study in Biotechnology.
The Department of Immigration and Border Protection has declined our Permanent Residency Application, based on the assumption that Romit will be a burden on Australian tax-payers.
This, however, ignores the following facts:
- Both of us have been bearing the cost of his treatment, despite of having an access to Medicare since 2011;
- Our Statutory Declaration verifies our intentions not to misuse Medicare in the future as well;
- We both have permanent jobs and we can, with our current earnings, pay for the treatment and medication in Australia;
- We have been funding Romit’s treatment at a cost of more than $900 per month;
- Romit is capable of working and has no other cancerous symptoms to stop him from working hard to earn his keep;
- We need the opportunity to keep working in Australia, as this will allow Romit's treatment to continue, so that he will be cured within a couple of years;
- If we have to leave Australia, our financial instability will result in the cessation of Romit's treatment which will reduce his life expectancy to five (5) years.
All the medical facts have been explained by Romit's treating Doctors in the letter to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection. The Migration Review Tribunal Court has referred our case for Ministerial Intervention on compassionate grounds.
We seek your support in our effort to continue our life here in Australia, with a compassionate and positive outcome. Your signature in support of our appeal to the Honourable Immigration Minister shall ink the strength of your faith in our efforts and shall help us to secure the Permanent Residency or Long Term Working Visa in Australia.
Today: Dipti is counting on you
Dipti Patel needs your help with “A Petition in Favour of Courage and Compassion”. Join Dipti and 1,787 supporters today.