Our dream is a Parliament where men & women legislate the laws of our land together in roughly equal numbers. People from across the UK support this principle because better balance benefits everyone. There are currently more men in the Commons than there have ever been women. We are asking Party Leaders for solutions, they have the power to sort this out.
50:50 Parliament is an inclusive, cross party, non-partisan campaign. It has wide support from all genders. If you agree that the life experience, skills and talents of women are as important as men's and that Parliament should have better gender balance please sign our petition. It says:
"Dear Mr.Cameron and all Party Leaders, We need a more balanced House of Commons, around 50:50 men and women. Please collaborate and do something: debate and take action to make Parliament more gender balanced, like life."
- Of the 650 seats in the House of Commons men hold 459 (71%) and women only 191 (29%), so there are 268 more men.
- Inspite of women having the vote since 1918 there have only been 450 women MPs. So there are more men in the Commons right now than there have ever been women. In that time women have held only 7% of the seats.
- In the Lords men outnumber women 3:1 holding over 400 more seats than women.
- At the current rate it could take 50 years or more for equality.
- 45 countries have proportionally more women in their Parliaments than the UK.
- The 32 million UK women make up 51% of the population. They have a breadth of experience and skills. They are a richly diverse pool of talent from which a total of 325 women MPs can emerge.
- Many reasons are given for the lack of women MPs including: Parliamentary culture, environment, working conditions, funding, media intrusion, perceptions, incumbency, family life and caring responsibilities. These issues need to be addressed.
- 50:50 is campaigning for all women, including those from many minority groups or with disabilities who face discrimination on multiple levels.
50:50 Parliament have a clear aspiration - better gender balance, roughly 50:50 men:women MPs and Peers. We are asking Parliament for solutions.
50:50 Parliament want to help so we are setting up an Ambassador Programme to raise awareness and inspire political participation on a cross-party non-partisan basis to support people who might consider standing.
Nearly 100 years after women gained the right to vote it's time they had more seats in Parliament.
Sign now. Thanks.
Frances, Sadaf, Brian, Tina, Charlie and Nathalie
50:50 Parliament Team
#5050ParliamentPetition #5050Parliament #MoreWomen