Our dream is a Parliament where men & women legislate the laws of our land together in roughly equal numbers. People from across the UK support this principle because better balance benefits everyone. There are currently more men in the Commons than there have ever been women. We are asking Party Leaders for solutions, they have the power to sort this out.
50:50 Parliament is an inclusive, cross party, non-partisan campaign. It has wide support from all genders. If you agree that the life experience, skills and talents of women are as important as men's and that Parliament should have better gender balance please sign our petition. It says:
"Dear Mr.Cameron and all Party Leaders, We need a more balanced House of Commons, around 50:50 men and women. Please collaborate and do something: debate and take action to make Parliament more gender balanced, like life."
- Of the 650 seats men hold 459 (71%) and women only 191 (29%), so there are 268 more men in the House of Commons.
- Inspite of women having the vote since 1918 there have only been 450 women MPs. So there are more men in Parliament right now than there have ever been women. In that time women have held only 7% of the seats.
- At the current rate it could take around 50 years for equality.
- 45 countries have proportionally more women in their Parliaments than the UK.
- The 32 million UK women make up 51% of the population. They have a breadth of experience and skills. They are a richly diverse pool of talent from which the additional 134 women MPs can emerge.
- Many reasons are given for the lack of women MPs including: Parliamentary culture, environment, working conditions, funding, media intrusion, perceptions, incumbency, family life and caring responsibilities. 50:50 is campaigning for all women, including those from many minority groups or with disabilities who face discrimination on multiple levels, this needs to be addressed.
50:50 Parliament have a clear aspiration - better gender balance, roughly 50:50 men:women MPs and Peers. We are asking Parliament for solutions.
If you would like Party leaders from across the political spectrum to sort this out, one way or another, then please sign and share our petition.
If you believe that the views and life experience of men and women are equally important and that they should shape the future together then please join us, email Frances@5050Parliament.co.uk for more information. You might like to be a 50:50 Parliament Ambassador.
Nearly 100 years after women gained the right to vote it's time they had more seats in Parliament.
Sign now. Thanks.
Frances, Sadaf, Brian, Tina, Charlie and Nathalie
50:50 Parliament Team
For more information please:
- "Like" facebook.com/5050Parliament
- and follow Twitter@5050Parliament
- see www.5050Parliament.co.uk
- 50:50 tees at 50:50 Parliament Shop
- see YouTube: 50:50 with Paloma Faith, Gemma Arterton & Helen Pankhurst
- see Huffington Post : Gender Equality is a Human Right
50:50 Parliament is also setting up an Ambassador Programme to raise awareness and inspire political participation. If you would like to be involved email Frances@5050Parliament.co.uk.
We need a more balanced House of Commons, around 50:50 men and women. Please collaborate and do something: debate and take action to make Parliament more gender balanced, like life.