Proper Garbage Disposal
This petition had 65 supporters
Garbage on the street is an eyesore and very unsanitary. But it is a common sight, after someone's garbage can has been tipped over and the bags torn open by dogs.
There are very harmful effects of throwing garbage anywhere. Some of the effects are:
· It causes land pollution, which affects human health and causes serious health diseases. Such as- several types of cancer.
· The toxic material that pollutes the soil get into the human body directly by breathing in polluted dust and also by eating fruits and vegetable that have been grown in polluted soil.
Handling and preparing garbage for collection
· All residents, occupying residential or commercial premises, must provide watertight metal or plastic garbage containers with tight-fitting lids, in order to prevent animals from troubling garbage.
· Sharp objects, such as pieces of metal or tree branches should not be placed in regular garbage. Glass bottles or sharp objects must be securely wrapped in several layers of paper. (This is an interim measure until the revamped recycling programme has been launched).
· Each bag or container should not exceed 40 lbs. in weight.
· Coals, cooking oil and other "hot items" must not be placed in regular garbage.
· Construction and demolition materials, landscaping vegetation and bulk household waste should not be placed in residential garbage containers. Arrangements can be made with DEH to rent containers, to remove these types of waste.
Placement of containers
Garbage containers must be placed in one of two locations.
· In front of premises; or
· to the side of property on the street, immediately beside the property.
· Containers must not block traffic.
· Garbage containers must be removed from the street following collection.
Ban on dumping of garbage
All residents are reminded that it is illegal to dump garbage:
· on any property; or
· on or within the vicinity of public roads, beaches, waterfronts, or other public places. The only place to safely dump garbage is at one of the three landfills.
· All waste material resulting from new construction or renovated property must be transported to the landfill.
· Dumping garbage, except at the landfill, is against the Litter Law (1997 Revision).
· Offenders can be fined CI$500 or imprisoned for up to six months, upon conviction.
Large, specially approved garbage containers that are placed by DEH will be serviced by department staff. The public is reminded that:
· access to these containers must be kept clear at all times;
· boxes must be broken down to efficiently utilize container space;
· wet garbage being put into such containers must be placed in securely fastened plastic bags; and
· no oil, grease or other liquid wastes are to be placed in these containers.
· Containers can be rented on a daily basis for bulk waste disposal.
24-hour drop-off area at the landfill
· Located at the entrance to the landfill, the drop-off and separation area is open to the public for disposal of all types of waste. This includes landscaping vegetation, construction and demolition debris, metals, household appliances, furniture, and hazardous waste.
Today: Gene Angelo is counting on you
Gene Angelo Go needs your help with “11-C CET STEM: Proper Garbage Disposal”. Join Gene Angelo and 64 supporters today.