1 Million Against Amendment 1
This petition had 160,509 supporters
There are numerous reasons why it is important to repeal Amendment 1 (which states that 'Marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this State' of NC):
1) Because civil unions between one man and one woman will benefit NC
2) Because the legal implications of this amendment can negatively impact health benefits, domestic violence cases, and the overall economic well being of NC
3) Because it stands in contradiction to the 14th amendment of the constitution "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."
4) Because equality cannot be given - it must be earned. Numerous laws have been overthrown, and the sense of community that was created in overturning those unfair laws was profound (enough to start countries and expand nations). Our only hope is that repealing Amendment 1 will be the first stepping stone on the path to a new era in the US, much in the same way that the Jim Crow laws being overturned paved the way for Martin Luther King and Barack Obama
5) Because if twitter can start a revolution in Egypt, there is no reason we cannot spark a revolution HERE and NOW.
Please feel free to add your personal reasons to this list.
UPDATE:: In response to numerous questions on this issue, please note that you do not need to be from NC to sign this petition. When signing the petition, Change.org requires you state a location so that they can track how many signatures are from NC, but as Obama has demonstrated this afternoon, this is a national issue!
Today: Jenn is counting on you
Jenn Halweil needs your help with “1 Million Against Amendment 1”. Join Jenn and 160,508 supporters today.