My name is Carol Smith and I live in Birmingham uk. For the past 3 years I have been trying to fight for bears who live a miserable existence in zoo's and circuses
The bear is an iconic symbol for Russia but how ironic when bears are made to perform in circuses by doing degrading acts such as juggling with their feet. tightrope walking, riding bikes and being dressed in outrageous clothing. Bear Baiting training camps are common in parts of Russia whereby a bear will have its teeth and claws removed, they are then tethered to a post whereby they are subjected to repeated attacks by dogs. The hunting and poaching of bears for the illegal trade in their body parts, Also using bears in public places for tourists to have their photo's taken with them.
We must make it clear that the international community is asking them to include compliance with the Russian legislation:
- Article 137 of the Civil Code of the Russian Federation;
- Articles 26 and 91 of the Federal Law "On Fauna";
- The rules for issuing licenses to keep wild animals. These rules prohibit cruelty to animals. In such cases, license revoked.
Requesting Russia make the basic requirements, such as:
1) Closing of the training stations in Russia;
2) Accept the Federal Law "On Protection of Cruelty to Animals";
3) Adopt a federal program to establish Sanctuaries for animals from circuses and pritravochnyh stations (canine training camps where bears are used as bait for the dogs)
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Gandhi
Russia has one of the weakest animal cruelty laws in the developed world.
Lets try and be a voice for these bears