- University of Rochester
- Joel SeligmanUniversity of Rochester, President and CEO
- Morgan LevyUniversity of Rochester, Title IX Coordinator
- Gail M. NorrisUniversity of Rochester, Vice President and General Counsel
- Ashley CampbellDirector of Diversity Programming
- Paul BurgettVice President, Senior Advisor to the President, and University Dean
- Maggie CousinAssistant Provost for Faculty Development and Diversity & Special Projects Researcher
- Kim DownsAdministrative Assistant and Witmer (President's) House Manager
- Jennifer FalerDeputy Secretary of the Board and Deputy Chief of Staff
- Greg DeAngelisChair for Brain and Cognitive Sciences
- T. Florian JaegerProfessor, Brain and Cognitive Sciences and Computer Science
- Peter LennieProfessor, Brain and Cognitive Sciences and Center for Visual Science
Remove Florian Jaeger and Reevaluate Sexual Harrassment Policy
0 have signed. Let’s get to 50,000.
For years a scandal was tearing apart the University of Rochester Brain and Cognitive Sciences department, but most of the school community was unaware until Mother Jones broke the story on September 8th. U of R students were shocked and disgusted to learn that:
- Professor Florian Jaeger had been reported for sexual harassment by multiple students and faculty;
- This harassment included unwanted sexual pictures, threats, stalking, and verbal abuse;
- The school promoted Jaeger while he was still under investigation, eventually clearing him in a procedure conducted by an investigator who refused to even look at all the evidence offered by Jaeger's victims;
- The school retaliated against professors who reported the abuse, even denying them legally mandated maternity leave;
- Richard Aslin, the most prestigious member of the BCS department and a former school dean, resigned in protest.
Florian Jaeger remains a professor at the University of Rochester. President Seligman initially resisted calls to launch another investigation of Jaeger's conduct, but relented due to a public outcry including a hunger strike and coverage by the New York Times. Jaeger is temporarily on leave (a voluntary move on his part) pending the results of an external investigation.
Unfortunately, this investigation appears to be a sham. Rather than settle with the complainants, the school has chosen to fight Jaeger's victims in court. Although the complainants would like to cooperate with the school's investigation, they cannot do so while engaged in a legal battle. Thus, the University is once again "investigating" Jaeger while excluding the primary witnesses!
In addition to signing, you can directly contact the school through email or a phone call.
- University of Rochester
- University of Rochester, President and CEO
- University of Rochester, Title IX Coordinator
- University of Rochester, Vice President and General Counsel
Gail M. Norris
- Director of Diversity Programming
- Vice President, Senior Advisor to the President, and University Dean
- Assistant Provost for Faculty Development and Diversity & Special Projects Researcher
- Administrative Assistant and Witmer (President's) House Manager
- Deputy Secretary of the Board and Deputy Chief of Staff
- Chair for Brain and Cognitive Sciences
- Professor, Brain and Cognitive Sciences and Computer Science
T. Florian Jaeger
- Professor, Brain and Cognitive Sciences and Center for Visual Science
The University's handling of the Florian Jaeger case has been disgraceful. The undersigned demand:
1. That Professor Jaeger be removed;
2. That the university apologizes to Drs. Celeste Kidd, Jessica Cantlon, Richard Aslin, Steven Piantadosi, Brad Mahon, Ben Hayden, Sarah Heilbronner , Elissa Newport, Keturah Bixby, and the anonymous students harmed by Florian Jaeger;
2.b. That Joel Seligman personally apologizes for comparing the above to the perpetrator of the UVA/Rolling Stone rape hoax;
3. That the university explains how it will improve the enforcement of policies against sexual harassment and create a safe environment for current and future students;
4. That an independent commission produce a publicly available report on this case;
5. That Aslin, a former dean and professor of over 30 years who resigned in protest, be offered his job back, and that restitution be made for the retaliation against Celeste Kidd, Jissica Cantlon, Ben Hayden, Sarah Heilbronner, and others.
It is essentially impossible to imagine that Florian Jaeger will continue to teach at this school. It is not enough merely for him to resign and for the administration to wait for this to blow over. The undersigned demand real accountability.
Zachary Taylor started this petition with a single signature, and now has 39,843 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Zachary is counting on you
Zachary Taylor needs your help with “University of Rochester: Remove Florian Jaeger and Reevaluate Sexual Harrassment Policy”. Join Zachary and 39,842 supporters today.