Remove Florian Jaeger and Reevaluate Sexual Harrassment Policy
0 have signed. Let’s get to 50,000!
For years a scandal was tearing apart the University of Rochester Brain and Cognitive Sciences department, but most of the school community was unaware until Mother Jones broke the story on September 8th. U of R students were shocked and disgusted to learn that:
- Professor Florian Jaeger had been reported for sexual harassment by multiple students and faculty;
- This harassment included unwanted sexual pictures, threats, stalking, and verbal abuse;
- The school promoted Jaeger while he was still under investigation, eventually clearing him in a procedure conducted by an investigator who refused to even look at all the evidence offered by Jaeger's victims;
- The school retaliated against professors who reported the abuse, even denying them legally mandated maternity leave;
- Richard Aslin, the most prestigious member of the BCS department and a former school dean, resigned in protest.
Florian Jaeger remains a professor at the University of Rochester. President Seligman initially resisted calls to launch another investigation of Jaeger's conduct, but relented due to a public outcry including a hunger strike and coverage by the New York Times. Jaeger is temporarily on leave (a voluntary move on his part) pending the results of an external investigation.
Unfortunately, this investigation appears to be a sham. Rather than settle with the complainants, the school has chosen to fight Jaeger's victims in court. Although the complainants would like to cooperate with the school's investigation, they cannot do so while engaged in a legal battle. Thus, the University is once again "investigating" Jaeger while excluding the primary witnesses!
In addition to signing, you can directly contact the school through email or a phone call.
Today: Zachary is counting on you
Zachary Taylor needs your help with “University of Rochester: Remove Florian Jaeger and Reevaluate Sexual Harrassment Policy”. Join Zachary and 40,125 supporters today.