Action Needed to Help Hens in Cruel Battery Cages!
Jun 11, 2015 — You signed this petition because you care about hens and think they should be able to walk around, stretch their wings, and engage in other natural behaviors. That’s why we thought you should know that earlier this week, The Humane Society of the United States released disturbing video footage of horrific animal abuse and neglect at a major Costco egg supplier: http://bit.ly/CostcoEggs.
The shocking hidden-camera video shows:
• Birds cramped so tightly in cages they can’t even fully spread their wings for their entire lives
• Dead, decaying corpses left to rot in cages with hens still laying eggs for human consumption
• Chickens painfully caught in feeders and cage wire, suffering without proper veterinary care
• Hens with severe injuries, growths, and bloody wounds, and dead birds littering the facility’s floors
Costco—the nation’s second-largest grocery retailer—promised it would eventually buy only eggs from cage-free hens nearly a decade ago, yet the company continues to support egg factory farms that cram hens into horribly cruel battery cages.
Take Action: Tell Costco to Stop Selling Eggs from Caged Hens
1. Send a polite email to Costco CEO Craig Jelinek: CJelinek@Costco.com.
2. Post a comment on Costco’s Facebook page: https://www.Facebook.com/Costco.
3. Call Costco at 1-800-774-2678 and press 0 to speak to a representative.
And remember, the best way to help end the needless suffering of animals is to choose healthy and humane vegan alternatives to eggs and other animal products. Start here: http://ChooseVeg.com.
Your Friends at Mercy For Animals