Petition updateStop proposed Optus mobile base station close to JPPS and CTHS school at Purchase road
Media Coverage! Call for Optus to move ‘risky’ infrastructure proposed to be built near two schools
JPPS-CTHS Parents Action groupCherrybrook, Australia

Dec 8, 2016
Bid to stop phone tower,
Doug Conway
Hornsby Advocate
8 Dec 2016
Why put it in a place that exposes so many people, mainly children? It’s a risk.” Dr John Bilbe
PARENTS and residents have called on Optus to move a “risky” mobile phone base proposed for a power pole outside two Cherrybrook schools attended by 3300 children.
They fear the long- term hazards of electromagnetic radiation could affect the future health of children at John Purchase Public School, which has 800 students, and adjoining Cherrybrook Technology High School, with 2500 students.
The pole is just 20m from classrooms at the high school, within 100m of the primary school’s main assembly area and in direct line of sight to both.
Concerned parents and residents said the Education Department’s “preference” was to keep telco infrastructure at least 500m from school boundaries.
With work on the mobile base due to start on Monday, January 2, John Purchase P&C vice-president Ron Harrop said: “There is no need for a tower to be anywhere near a school. Why can’t it be two blocks away?
“Kids will be walking right under it every day of the week. Everyone is in shock.”
Mr Harrop, who has daughters in Year 6 at the primary school and Year 8 at the high school, said: “Kids who go to both schools are going to spend 14 years of their lives near this.”
Dr John Bilbe, who runs a medical clinic from his home metres from the pole, said: “This is a new technology. We don’t know what the long-term effects will be on health and general wellbeing.
“This pole is where the highest density of people are in Cherrybrook during the week.
“Why put it in a place that exposes so many people, mainly children? It’s a risk.”
He cited thalidomide and asbestos as examples of products once thought to be safe and later found to cause health disasters.
His wife Jenny said: “We live right under it. I have nine grandchildren under six who are here a lot of the time, and I don’t want them exposed to this. I am very concerned.”
Purchase Rd resident, IT consultant Barani Sundaram, whose son is in Year 2 at the primary school, said: “Common sense says put it further away. It’s not worth the risk. Parents are very concerned.”
He said an online petition had attracted more than 250 signatures and letters of protest had been sent to Optus, the State Government, Hornsby Council and state and federal MPs.
Optus promised not to make any decision until after a community consultation process, which ended yesterday (December 7).
Copy link
WhatsApp
Facebook
Nextdoor
Email
X